Is my power supply bad?
I have an A1225 24" iMac that is not booting consistently.
- Often black screen with no chime, although I can hear hard drive/optical drive or fans spin up briefly.
- Once I got a half chime and screen worked until chime quit
- Twice it started to the OS X recovery screen - I tried to install the OS, it stayed alive enough to download and then half install.
What I tried:
- PRAM reset - could not tell if anything happened
Current LED light status:
- 1st LED lit (current coming in from wall),
- 2nd LED is a sporadic, mostly off condition, but will come on occasionally -- seems aligned with when the spin up of fan or drive happens. (makes me think power supply bad)
- 3rd LED blinks - but only when 2nd LED is on
- I have not observed the 4th LED going on
I see the power supply is $120 here - would that likely fix this, or is there a good chance there is something else wrong?
Is this a good question?