Repair guides for displays (or monitors) for computers or other devices with video output.

The monitor shows the image for 2-3secs then turns black

hi,

this lcd monitor samsung syncmaster 931sw (19 inches) show the picture normally (of seven or snowleopard) for 2 sec then turns black , if you look at a certain angle you see that the picture is still there but as if there was no backlight anymore

is there something i could do to repair it?

Might want to update the "device" listing to the 931BW. I checked Google and Samsung and it's the closest to the 931sw you listed. It makes a difference when trying to research! :p

Also, how long have you had it? According to Samsung, it has a 3 year P/L warranty. Not sure what they require, but it might come in handy! Seems this model has a lot of known issues with the inverter. Once I changed the sw to bw on my Google search, I got a TON of hits for it.

if it shows for a few seconds then it shuts down and you can still see the image? that means the 12 volts going to the inverter board is not steady or the inverter board is faulty. from experience, I usually find a blown fuse on the inverter board. replace that and it should be fine.

You might want to tried testing the Caps of the power board, normally they die after time, check out this post for more info:

http://www.fixepedia.com/index.php/2016/...

ppl me problem is next : me PC monitor works until i turn off me pc and i go to sleep and next day when i turn on PC i go t pictures on me monitor for 2sec and disepire and what i do?? in start of me problem i found solution 5-6 click on power buton of monitor and i got pictures and monitor works totaly ok until next day and new turn on me PC can some1 tell me are is problems in capacitor or what? tyyyy

You fixed it for me!

I had this problem now with SyncMaster 2494HS. Start and shows image for 1 sec then goes black but not turned off.

Mashed the power button like 10 times and then it's on and stays on!

Thanks from the future!

What you're experiencing is a blown inverter. This is the part of the monitor that directly controls the backlighting. The fact that the light comes on at all shows that the lights themselves work.

Finding a specific inverter can be a pain, but I've found that eBay is your friend in these cases. I stick with "Buy it Now" and "Top Sellers" with 94-98% approval and at least 1500 transactions completed. Read the descriptions CAREFULLY and know what you're getting. Also be sure you know their return or exchange policy...almost all sellers I've seen will not accept returns, but most will accept exchanges in case of dead-on-arrival.

I deal with blown inverters on laptops all the time. Working on a G4 Titanium DVI (A1025) now with that exact problem. Found the guide right here on iFixit. I'd never worked on a Mac laptop before, so I wanted to be sure to do it right...I need not have feared, as it's easier than any other laptop inverter I've ever replaced. (The same is NOT true for most of them, apparently!)

I didn't find any manuals here for replacing inverters on LCD monitors, but I might do a couple if I get a chance. While the functional part is the same, the make, model, and procedure for doing it is a bit different for almost every monitor out there. Just Google (or Bing or Yahoo or *search engine here*) it and you'll probably find one.

Edit:

I checked out eBay once I found the correct model number (931BW). There are several listings for a replacement power board. This is where the inverter is located on your monitor (as Shawn pointed out). The prices seem reasonable (the first 2 listed were $23), so it shouldn't be a problem to get it replaced, once you can get it open.

Unfortunately, I had less luck with the service manual. I found a couple that claimed to have it, but one wanted registration (didn't really want to do that) and another wanted money, but I didn't see how much. Wish I could help more on that part.

I like your answers Jerry. They are technically complete and useful. +

sorry jerry i feel you are the promoter of eBay this is not your experience about lcd repairing, i think you will give us some tips on this inverter fault.

most monitor the inverter is part of the power supply not an inverter board like in laptops ??

Muhammad sounds like a camel humper

This is as common a problem with monitors as is bad spark plugs for an automobile. And just as you would not replace your automobile if it had bad spark plugs then you should not replace your monitor if you had this "2 seconds to black" problem. Just as spark plugs need to be replaced from time to time then so do some electronic components in your monitor. In this case, the electronic components that fail are electrolytic capacitors and high current switching transistors. You just identify them and replace them and they your monitor is good for a few more years.

I recently had the same problem with my monitor, so with my basic knowledge of electronics I fixed it and I am using it now without problems after a few days. I webbed the description of the problem and the fix on my ugly web site to do with an obscure programming language. Sorry for the ugliness of the web page but it will have to stay that way.

http://www.datasavantconsulting.com/rola...

If your LCD display is turning itself off due to aging capacitors, an easy work around is to turn the brightness down! Brightness goes down, display draws less juice, and you can at least use it. As it warms up you should be able to gradually turn the brightness back up, although probably not all the way.

Sometimes this problem manifests itself as a display that turns itself off after a few seconds or will turn itself off and back on over and over again.

Basically your 2nd monitor is drawing 2 much juice. Good luck.

Why not replace the capacitor?

Depends on the model, but usually it's not worth it, and yes it's the backlights that are gone. If it's a Samsung of a certain model range (ex: SyncMaster 226BW) check out my answer: SyncMaster 226BW blinks for "a couple of minutes" after turning it on.

Torpor

I'm sorry please don't take this personally as in only writing this because your inaccurate and it could cause someone to throw away a perfectly easily fixable tv that probably cost a good penny when they bought it (and even more to buy another) Your wrong, if the lights are gone you won't get any picture any time. The blinking your referring to is most likely the power light will blink repeatedly when the TV is malfunctioning. These other posters know what they are talking about so anyone reading should head their advice.

Merry Christmas

Hi my hdmi hanns.g moniter turns on good picture then goes black with power still on shut it off turn back on for half second same thing happens can some one help please

Please help my hdmi hanns.g moniter turns on good pictures then goes black please help

cftrading1 will be eternally grateful.