Released June 2009 / 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor

Can't install OSX el capitan, stuck on installation screen

Hello!

Was trying to instal el capitan on my macbook , the installation starts and after a few minutes stops and a messaging saying the os x could'nt be install on the computer, please contact the software editor to get help.

I called apple and they said they can't give me any tech support, i guess cause my computer is too "old"..

I tried a few times, can't go back with my old os and i'm stuck on the installation program.

I made sure before trying that my computer had all it needs to install it.

Is there a way to complete the installation or go back to my old os without loosing all my data? I did a back up but a month ago..

Thank you for your help!!

Most Helpful Answer

What did you do the backup to and how was it done? How was the El Capitan obtained? Have you been getting beach balls before this started?

My first thought on this is that it is probably a bad hard drive/IR cable and I would replace it with a new one from a 2012 model.

I did my back up on an external drive. Wasn't getting any beach ball before and I got the el capitan on the apple website. My computer worked completly well before trying the installation.. I doubt it's a hard drive/IR problem

If you have a friend with a Mac you could try connecting it to yours via a FireWire cable and put your system in Target Mode. That way you can salvage your important files just to be on the safe side here onto an external HD.

When that message appears, go under disk utilities, click "terminal," and once that pops up, type "date" and hit enter. The date will probably appear as incorrect (mine was set at the year 2000). Type date again and then type in the correct date in the format MMDDHHYYYY (month, day, hour, year) and hit enter. Then try installing again. It worked for me!

Yes, your systems date & time needs to be set correctly. This is also true with the older OS's too. The installer won't install based on a setting that is older than its self.

El Capitan disk has an embbed security certificate that has expired in 2016.

Just change your system date, let's say to 01/01/2015, install El Capitan, then change the date back to today.

Where did you hear this?

Check also the comments on this video, using 2016 doesn't work, using 2015 works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRPiynS1...

OK, now I understand what you were going here.

If you allow the system to loose the date & time it will revert to the default setting that's in its ROM. At that point you won't be able to install the OS as the installer is expecting the certificate it has and the systems date to be equal or newer than its date (not expired, just predated the window it is valid for). The certificate has a window it is valid for (a start and end date) if the systems date is outside of this window you can encounter problems.

So yes, you do need to make sure the systems date and time are correctly set before trying to do the OS install.

Just adjust the date in a terminal session: date

date mmddhhmmyyyy

Eline will be eternally grateful.