Roku freezes, connector problem between TV and device

Every day or two, after I haven't been using it for several hours, my Roku 2 XS freezes and needs to be rebooted. When I unplug it and plug it in again, I have to fiddle with the connector before it reboots. This is not the power cord connector, but the connector from the TV to the Roku, on the Roku end. Even so, I still need to power cycle, so maybe there are two things going on.

Since I have an older TV, and the Roku 2 XS has a USB port that I use every day, I can't replace the unit with the same model. My only option, other than buying a new HDMI TV, is to repair the Roku.

I was having same problem and got fixed by restarting devices once.If still having problem might be your account issue, may contact on 18005852494 and get update about everything.

I found out that the Roku 2 XS has been having freeze problems since an OS update early December. http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=2... Maybe Roku support will fix it. One can only hope.

Most Helpful Answer

Here is a link which describes how to either do a "soft" reset or a "hard" reset on your Roku.

A soft reset will just reset the device from its present state and return it to normal. With a hard reset it restores the device back to a factory default condition and you will have to set it up again as you did when you first got it. To access the reset button insert the end of a paperclip into the hole marked "reset". To not push in too hard, you will feel it when the button is pushed.

http://www.brainchamber.com/2013/06/14/r...

You might also like to check that your Roku has the latest updates installed.

https://support.roku.com/hc/en-us/articl...

I was having a similar issue on my Roku 2XS ever since the update back in December. Try going to Settings>Privacy and make sure there's a check mark next to "limit ad tracking". This worked pretty well for me. I'm guessing that someone didn't do enough QA testing on their ad code or the management didn't care and just cranked the dial up too much on the ad software.

@Clearest WOW! Your "limit ad tracking" fix has eliminated my Roku XS box's lock ups! Since the end of 2015 my Roku XS had been freezing with a frequency of approximately once a day. My workaround was simply to power off the device and power it back on. What can I say, thank you ! For the record, my unit is running v7.0 build 9044 firmware.

Perfect. Didn't even know that ad setting was there. Sneaky.

So far so good, thanks for the tip!

No freezes now, thank you!

That explains why only apps that show ads (Hulu; CBS All Access; etc.) were freezing. Thank you for the fix!

Will give that a shot thank you! Was thinking it was almost time to upgrade but really no need.

Gradually this happens due to bad port forwarding or some other IP try to access your Roku. Turn off Roku devices and wait for 2 minutes, and then turn it back on.It will start working if it still not working try to contact 18005852494 for support on Roku and get your easy solution.

Joy Metcalf will be eternally grateful.