Parts & Tools

Late 2011 model, A1278 / 2.4 GHz i5 or 2.8 GHz i7 processor.

Optical Bay replacement hard drive will not format or repair

So I just installed two new hard drives into my macbook pro. The samsung 850 evo 500gb and a HGST Travelstar 1tb.

The SSD is in the original spot where my old hard drive was and is functioning properly.

Where I am having issues is trying to format the HDD in the optical bay slot. When I try to format the drive it fails and I have tried this several times!

If you need any details the HGST Travelstar is 2.5 inch 1tb 5400rpm SATA 6gb/s 8MB Cache

do you have a HDD usb reader ? it sounds like the adapter may not be compatible, what brand is it ?

LCD iPhone Screen Fix Kits

The budget option, covered by our Lifetime Warranty.

Shop Kits

LCD iPhone Screen Fix Kits

Cut repair costs, not quality.

Shop Kits

Most Helpful Answer

Put the HGST Travelstar in the original bay and see if you can work with it.

If it does work what would be my next step?

See if it is backward compatible to SATA II.

I do not think it was an I ordered a drive that is SATA II

I found cheap CD bay drives can't by used like normal. Format it using a proper USB HDD caddy then reincert it in your machine. I would recommend using it as extra storage not a second o.s

From what Ive read it seems that it is unable to format it because the optical bay does not support SATA III

I'm sorry. I was trying to say remove the hard drive from the laptop and using a hard drive caddy. (A USB hard drive case) connect it to a USB on your computer and format it. Then once formatted you can put it back in the computer. And it should work fine. I used a 128gb ssd like this and I had to do the same thing

Just tried that I did not work.....

@H4CK3R - Be careful here! If the drive unable to format internally I would not assume it will be stable if I was able to format it externally and put back in. The issue here is the act of formatting and installing the OS is quite hard. This implies the drive is on the knifes edge, while it may appear to work to start with, any heavy use could bring the house of cards crashing down! This is a common trip up point people hit with drives that are unable to match systems SATA port speed.

I had a similar experience when using a cheap caddy. Then I ordered something called OptiBay and now my drive formats/ repairs correctly.

I'm not promoting the product but it just works.

EDIT: Sorry to dig out this old thread but I was facing this issue and was following this topic since then. Once I resolved my issue I decided to post it here so that it can help someone who's wasting their time with this problem.

Kai Nodera will be eternally grateful.