Model A1311 / Mid 2011 / 2.5 & 2.7 GHz Core i5 or 2.8 GHz Core i7 Processor

LCD Proximity Sensor Location?

I recently had an issue with my LCD panel and I thought it may have been the LVDS cable but it ended up being the panel itself that is faulty.

I have taken the iMac into an Apple Store where they ran some hardware tests - turns out the LCD Proximity Sensor has failed and the internal fan is running at a higher speed.

Is the LCD proximity sensor on the logic board or is it part of the LCD panel?

The LCD Proximity sensor is the small 4 wire cable going from the LCD to the Logic Board seen here It routes behind some tape located on the back of the LCD to a small PCB that is adhered. If you want to replace it (Careful their returning through them isn't the greatest experience)

Please remember to adhere to all safety and ESD precautions.

so if I am to purchase another LCD panel the proximity sensor is part of cable/board on the LCD itself and not the small input connector on the logic board?

It is a stand alone sensor that connects to the logic board via a cable, so it could easily be replaced. It is adhered to the back of the LCD. You can remove it easily if needed. :)

thanks for your replies Shmajay - appreciate you taking the time to explain

Shaun will be eternally grateful.