Keeping the Touch ID function?

Hi to All!

I was given an iPhone 5s that had fallen into a toilet. I was able to bring it back to life again. However, the person who performed "first aid" tore the flex cable of the home button.

Here is my question: Is there a way to keep the touch ID function...

a) by replacing the flex cable (and continue to use the original home button)? I did some research on that topic but without any success.

b) by buying an original Apple home button flex cable unit?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Steffen

Steffen the only way to get this done is by having Apple do the repair. The touch ID etc. is paired with the processor etc. and most likely will have to be programmed through Apple to be made functional. Even if you want to continue to use it without the touch ID, a later upgrade will most likely result in an error 53 and brick the device.

Thanks a lot for your answer. That helps and saves me further research (and time). I knew about the deactivation of the ID touch when I replace the entire unit of home button and flex cable. However, I did not know about the issue with a later upgrade. Thanks a gain!

Steffen will be eternally grateful.