:-) I love this place! Ok. iFixit has sent over a bunch of stuff (and though I had to pay a kings ransom as customs duty) I'm happy to get them and all set to upgrade my MBP5,3- mid 2009 2.66ghz unibody. I just want to check if i've understood it all correctly. I have a new 1TB Seagate SSHD and an optical bay case. My existing drive (old) is 320GB/ 5400rpm.
1. Pull out the Superdrive.
2. Put 1TBSSHD (new) drive into caddy and fix caddy in place of the removed Superdrive.
3. Boot as before on old drive.
4. Use Disk Utility to format new SSHD in a way that it can be read/ write by both OSX and Windows.
5. Use the OS Installer to install ElCapitan on the new drive. Q-I couldn't find an app called "OS Installer" in the App store. Though i'm currently running ElCapitan downloaded from the Ap Store, I can't seem to find the downloaded file to use in setting up the new SSHD. What should I do?
6. Once the OSX is installed in the new drive, I will be prompted if i have any files to copy. At which point i just point it to my old 320GB Hard drive and say copy everything here.
7. At this point I will have the OSX, windows 7, that I run using parallels and the partition for keeping Windows and windows related data files and programs.
8. I shut down and swap the 2 hard drives location and ask to default boot from the new SSHD.
9. I format the old drive so both OSX and Windows can read/ write.
10. I do not need to use the ubiquitous Carbon Copy Cloner that everyone seems to be recommending to set up the new drive.
IS my understanding of what is involved correct? Steps 5-6-7 seem tricky.
thanks in advance. :-)