Repair manuals and support for cars and trucks manufactured by Chevrolet.

Truck won't start after sitting for longer than a day

Original Post: 2003 Chevrolet S10 V6

2003 S10 V6. If the truck is started everyday it starts right up with no problems. If left sitting for at least 24 hours it is hard to start it. It cranks up and tries to start but never actually starts. To be able to get it to start the truck has to be primed with the key and then put the gas pedal to the floor while cranking. I have recently replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and fuel pressure regulator in attempt to fix this problem. When the truck is turned off the fuel pressure reads strong but when running fuel pressure begins to drop off. Any ideas on what is wrong?

I'm wondering if you have a fuel pump problem. Here is a link that may or may not help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piOzN1tZ...

I don't think it is the fuel pump because I can hear it when I cycle the key and the truck does start just not after it sits for over 24 hours. I also noticed this morning that the truck is idling low and makes a weird growling noise when in first and second gear to keep the rpm up. That issue started after replacing the fuel pressure regulator.

Wondering if you can get hold of a scan tool and connect to the OBD2 port.

You might get an indication of what's happening. This may help if you can.

https://www.engine-light-help.com/chevy-...

Ok I will go get that done today. The growling noise started after replacing the fuel pressure regulator. I at first thought it was my clutch going out but now don't think that is the problem. I also did get a check engine light test done when the growling noise started and it was telling me that I was getting a lean mixture which was causing low RPMs.

tune up. It in the ignition.

Your system is not maintaining its prime if you have a drop in pressure it is either a leak in the system or the seals are going in the fuel pump if there is no obvious wet spots on the fuel line it will be in the tank in the fuel tank sender unit. Or it can be in the fuel pump itself. It will usually be when the fuel is not covering your pump .Hope this helps

Would you say this problem falls more onto the fuel pump and not the fuel injectors?

listen to your injectors if they still ring like bells there fine if there dull and cattery without the ring then they may be the issue. use an engine stethoscope or just a Johnson bar with your ear pressed to the end. But the fact you said the pressure drops off points more to a bad pump. just because its running(fuelpump) doesnt mean its running right

Ok I will look into getting a new fuel pump. With this new growling noise is this due to the new fuel pressure regulator being faulty?

After sitting 24 hours does the exhaust smell rich while being started? If so, is this a vortec engine? I had an injector leak that was flooding the engine overnite and replacing the injector assembly fixed the problem.

Put a new coal and ignition module and my truck still won't start started fine when I put the coil on for three days now it wont start

It sound more like a ignition problem. Plugs, wire, cap, rotor

I can drive my truck for a good amount of miles with no problem...but when I go to start my truck up gmc 2500 7.4 engine 1999 ...i have to hold the gas pedal down..if that doesn't work then I have to use starter fluid.. I also had a problem with running the gas low alot ..I wondering if that's the problem

Kristen Stonecipher will be eternally grateful.