The April 2014 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Air features refreshed dual-core i5 and i7 processors, plus slightly increased battery performance.

New SSD not booting

I'm trying to install my replacement SSD (which I bought second hand from ifixit). Just as all the tutorials have advised, once physically replacing the SSD I have tried to boot with cmd, alt, R as well as cmd R and it wont work. Then, when I simply try to turn on the device, I am faced by a flashing folder with a question mark on it. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Why are you replacing it? What size was your original, what size is the new one?

When you say booting with cmd+R doesn't work.. do you mean the OS X Recovery doesn't launch? or did you try to reinstall OS X? Does the disk come up in disk utility?

Current SSD is 128GB, new one is 265GB. Replacing it because I am selling the Mac on and the buyer requested a brand new SSD with more storage space. Yes the OS X recovery doesn't launch unfortunately :/ Am i right in saying that this is because the new SSD doesn't have an operating system installed?

No the OS X Internet Recovery should boot even if no operating system is installed.

Try starting it using these step one more time:

1. Press CMD + R and POWER button at the same time

2. While still holding CMD + R, release the power button

3. Keep holding CMD + R UNTIL the Apple logo appears.

Put it into Target Mode and erase the drive and format it, then do the internet reinstall.

smithjandrew will be eternally grateful.