Released June 2012 / Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost / Up to 1 GB DDR5 Video RAM

Unresponsive Keys, but only sometimes?

On my macbook laptop, the left cmd, x and z keys are unresponsive most of the times. This is where it gets weird, sometimes they work at random! How do I diagnosis this problem? I'm totally clueless.

Also, at first I thought there was something physically wrong with my keyboard, perhaps something is stuck that prevents the switch from being recognized but then randomly it starts working. sometimes it doesn't work for hours, other times it does. There isn't a scenario that I can reproduce making it work. I also opened up my macbook and looked at where the keyboard ribbon is connected to the logic board, I don't know what is up.

bump bump bump bump

If you have another device... open the directions found here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

If that does not work... It sounds weird but doing a PRAM reset to follow will kick out most cobwebs and get things running again. Do that by holding opt + command + P + R at the same time at start up (before chime)... Keep holding...the screen will blacken again... then release once you hear the chime for the second time.

If this fails, or the issue repeats... Follow the steps found here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

Spoiler alert on the last one... it's boot up your computer holding the D key until you see the AHT icon pop up. You should be able to easily follow the steps in the prompts to walk you though testing your hardware. Make sure any peripherals are disconnected when running this test.

You may end up having to replace the keyboard at some point... but first start with a simple SMC reset... then PRAM... then the AHT.

I have a similar problem with a WORN OUT keyboard due to playing MechWarrior Online on my MBP model A1286.

I already have bought a replacement keyboard for less than $30 at eBay, but I am still searching for a step by step explanation of how to disassemble the Upper case :(

To replace the key board on a 2011 MacBook Pro you're going to have to remove the back plate, fans logic board ect. In order to replace the keyboard

Hi, I had an intermittent A key on my Macbook Pro Late 2011. Sometimes additional pressure made it work, sometimes simply nothing. I was already considering to replace the keyboard with a cheap one from eBay but before, I tried swapping the ribbon system taken from another standard key, doing deep cleaning with rubber alcohol and a lot of compressed air and hoover to be sure not even a residual debris was in there.

Nothing changed. At the end, after a very close inspection, I found out that the small silicone cup has a sort of liquid drop into it. I was able to see a little bubble while pressing. So, having the ribbon removed (again) and keeping the cap in place without removing it (i didn't want to risk to break it - there was a lot of stock superglue keeping it in place- I raised on side with a needle an I have dried it with hot hair from a small hair dryer, being careful to don't get it too close or too hot. I spilled no liquid into it, but a low amount of cleaning product could have leaked in there.

Anyhow, issue fixed.

NormButt will be eternally grateful.