Step-by-step guides for canister, robotic, and upright vacuum cleaner repair.

Why is my vacuum cleaner blowing instead of sucking?

I have a bissel 3510-W style 2 vacuum cleaner. It was working fine but after my son did something with it, it now blows instead of sucking and I have no idea why and of course, my son has no idea what he did (teenagers!) Thank you in advance!

Take the hose out of the exhaust and plug it into the suction port.

My vacuum hose is in the suction port but it is blowing instead. Why would that be. It's a new vacuum

dean see if the other port is sucking

Vacuums use AC motors that aren't (easily) reversible, so it's likely nothing particularly serious. All vacuums have an air inlet and outlet - normally the inlet is at the power head and the outlet is in around the bag/filter unit. Some vacuums have hoses that connect to the blower motor, one for inlet one for outlet. It sounds like your Bissell has this and he flipped these around so that it's now pulling through the filter and blowing out the power head.

Make him vacuum for a week as punishment.

Its hoseless there is no hose

There is no way to “flip these hoses around”. I have the same problem. Air is being blown OUT of the canister INTO the hose and down to the bottom.

That’s right. This issue should not be marked as solved. I’ve cleaned out my vacuum thoroughly of all clogs (I can literally see straight through every hose (including the tiny one that’s a connector to the hose, from the very bottom, that’s screwed in.) and there’s no switch seen anywhere, to blow it out instead, nor any way to reverse the hose. Now what?

It worked for me. On one side is the hole that blows and the other side sucks

Why is my black and decker stick vacuum blowing instead of sucking? I’ve just bought new filters and it’s still doing the same. I’ve taken everything apart and everything is clean

This is happening to me too. I also have cleaned everything and put in a new filter. I would like the answer to this also. Please help the cat fur is getting out of control.

I found that the powerhead was clogged. There is no easy way to unclog it. I almost got my hand stuck between the roller and the hose entry. I then took a small bottle brush and loosened the debris. I turned on the vacuum and let the loose debris get sucked in. I did this process a few times until I was convinced the clog was all gone.

Gypsy will be eternally grateful.