just monitor

how can I use just the monitor connected to another machine?

Most Helpful Answer

You Cannot.

I assume you are wanting to drive your iMac 24" screen from another computer, as if your iMac was just a monitor, is that correct?

(polite suggestion: perhaps phrase the title of your question as a question and provide a little more detail)

if that's what you're asking, then there is no way to drive the iMac as if it were a monitor, this model iMac does not have any video input, unlike the newest model 27" iMacs introduced in late 2009.

edit: oops I see matthewfrey just posted the correct answer ahead of me, but I was going to add the only remotely possible way to do it is to use your iMac to remotely login to your other machine, e.g. using Screen Sharing if the other machine is a Mac, or using something like Remote Desktop Connection if the other is a PC. But that's probably not what you are really trying to do.

vedargal will be eternally grateful.