A lawn mower made by the American Company Toro

Engine starts, won't go forward or reverse.

I have a Toro Wheel Horse riding mower - engine starts, mower deck will engage, but it will not go forward or reverse. It will roll, however. What is the fix? Thanks.

I have a Toro 32-10B501 toro wheelhorse I used it today and went down a hill then it would not go forwards or backwards what do I check 1st the gear did move the cable underneath so I don't think that is an issue

Most Helpful Answer

Start by checking the cable from the handle bar to the drive it needs to be snug up enough to engage the drive when you pull it if thats ok check the drive to see if it is not a shear pin that may need replacing if it is not a shear pin then there is a slip cluch and this may need to be tightened Hope this helps

Chuck Severson, it will sure help if you can tell us what model your Wheel Horse is. Reason for that is the importance of how your drive is set up. If yours would be 260-series than you want to check things like this:

Symptom: Unit Does Not Drive

Possible Cause

Keys sheared in drive pulleys

Remedy

Replace

Possible Cause

Shift keys broken

Remedy

Replace keys, check keyways and shift gears.

Broken input gear

Replace

Possible Cause

Differential bevel gears broken

Remedy

Replace

Possible Cause

Stripped teeth on gears

Remedy

Replace

The very first thing that you do want to check is the drive belt of course. Again, part of this will depend on your mower model. something of a beast like a 603 is different than the hydrostatic drive of a 460....

There's a latch on the back of my Toro Wheelhorse that you disengage when you want to roll the tractor (for example, roll it into the garage, because you've emptied the gas for the season.) It needs to be moved over in order to engage the engine again. I learned that the hard way.

My Lt 1000 craftsman would barley move auto transmission. Fluid check looked like milk. Everything I read said no oil change possible. Oil should last a lifetime of transmission. Hydro Trans get very hot causing condensation. Was told must pull out Trans to change fluid. Right under the hydraulic release lever there is a flat spot on the case you can drill and tap a 1/2 inch hole for a drain plug. Then remove the fill plug on top of unit toward back of ring gear area . Remove battery box to locate refill with 20/50 oil 87 2.7 qts. I recommend synthetic. Jack up rear of tractor to fill . Purging air out is the hardest part with the right wheel off the ground you can start mower and purge air by putting weight on the seat put in gear and let run until the wheel start to turn when the whining noise stops air should be out of system. Drive it forward and backwords a few times and it should work better than ever before.

Toro 15-44 will not go into gear forward or reverse when I push the pedal also the thing you pull in the back to be able to push it does not engage or disengage as well so it's stuck where it's at it was fine when I parked it now it does nothing what do you think could be the problem

Chuck Severson will be eternally grateful.