Our friend and ancient philosopher Lao-Tzu gave excellent business advice: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Here are a few first steps for your business.

What kind of liability insurance do you carry?

I am a sole proprietor. What kind of liability insurance can I buy to cover my business? My biggest concern is data loss of a customers computer. Other possibilities are breaking the hardware, but that can be replaced. I would also like loss due to fire or theft. Hopefully I'll never have to use the insurance, but I'd like to cover myself.

Second question, I would like a customer release form. Something to the general effect that they will not hold me liable as long as I take reasonable precautions and do good work. Most of my business revolves around fixing windows issues, but I occasionally also work on hardware. Are there any generic forms out there that I can use or tweak?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Just put a disclaimer in your receiving quote that states just what you said. If they don't have an external backup, it's called negligence and lack of due diligence. On the rest, talk to your insurance agent.

Depending on what I am doing with someone's computer, I will advise that I can back up their data as a safety precaution prior to the work. If I am attempting data recovery, most software programs will not lose any of the data. Remember, data is rarely lost no matter what you are doing. Even if you accidentally delete something, it is truly never gone off the drive. There are several programs out there that will recover all kinds of data, even if the drive has been formatted or overwritten. The only way to destroy the data completely, is to use a program designed to "NUKE" the drive or to otherwise render it totally erased.

Great advise! I don't ever promise recovery of any device. That's just me... Like you said unless they have Nucked it so to speak. Most drives are recoverable.

This may be a little late for this forum but what country are we talking about . I know that most of you are Americans on this form but a lot are not and US law is different from most of the rest of the world . What works for you does not work for others . The first question that should have been asked was where are you located and from there dispense advice. Liability in the US compared to liability in Saudi Arabia is the difference between a few bucks and a hand.

Ah, the sound of one hand clapping from the Canuck ;-) Mike is south of Portland, Oregon according to his profile.

Send me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the form I use.....

Hey if by any chance if you can also send me a copy of the form?

here's my email damian_cedeno@yahoo.com

any chance you still have this form?

Please post it for all to see!

Any chance you still have the form?

Could you post your form?

Like a few of the others I have businesse insurance through State Farm. With that said one thing you will need and should have on any repair contract. Is a disclaimer. Addressing back up of devices, PC's, etc.

I'm sure you can find many on the internet or I would be glad to share what I have. I also had my lawyer review my repair contract. You never know what you may run into when making any repair. Also beware of not doing anything you don't feel comfortable doing!

I would love to check out what you have. email if possible: Austin@renophonerepair.com

mikescomputerhelpmac will be eternally grateful.