Apple's line of MacBook Pro laptops was intended for the professional and power users. The MacBook Pro line includes the MacBook Pro 13" Unibody, MacBook Pro 15", MacBook Pro 15" Unibody, MacBook Pro 17", and the MacBook Pro 17" Unibody.

DVD/CD player does not function after replacing hard drive

I installed a greater capacity hard drive on a friends MacBook Pro.

The drive works perfectly, but the CD/DVD player will now recognize nothing--no CDs nor DVDs.

We don't live in the same country at the moment, so I can't reopen the case to look for the problem.

Any ideas as to the cause? I don't think I touched any other connectors, but perhaps I accidentally did.

Stan Kossen

Go to the system profiler to see if the drive is even seen for a possible disconnect. I would reset the SMC and PRAM. How was the system restored on the new drive?

Mr Mayer. Thanks for the response. The system was restored with a clean install of Snow Leopard.

HOW did you do the clean install? If in target mode, was the processor a G5 or Intel?

I think I misled. I clean installed Leopard before I changed the hard drive. I made a SuperDuper clone of the internal hard drive. Then I booted from the SuperDuper clone, and copied that to the internal hard drive.

It is has an Intel processor. Thanks for your interest and input.

Later I changed the internal HD, and it was then that the DVD no longer functioned.

Stan Kossen will be eternally grateful.