Model A1312 / Mid 2011 / 2.7 & 3.1 GHz Core i5 or 3.4 GHz Core i7 Processor

How to get rid of iCloud lock?

I have a 2011 iMac but It was iCloud locked and when I go to do a clean install it has an EFI lock. How Can I get rid of this?

Please tell us exactly what you are seeing or post a photo.

When I turn on computer it has the iCloud lock them when I try to do into the disk utility to clean install from a USB there is an EFI lock. The white screen with the padlock

Are you the original owner of this machine? If not how did you get it? Have YOU ever been able to use this machine?

I brought of a seller and after a week he decided to lock it and not reply to me. I would like to know how to get past this.

Take it to an apple store with your proof of purchase and identification.

I do not have proof of purchase. Is there a way i can bypass?

Well if it is iCloud locked it sounds like it was stolen or maybe you bought it not knowing it was stolen, but now you do and helping you would be immoral/unethical. However, if you are the original owner of the computer you should be able to logon with your apple id on the apple store and print out an invoice to prove the purchase.

Only Apple can help you with that.

No there is a way to get rid of it

there is a chip you have to replace, easy solder job the chip is the locker and you can buy

a used on ebay for about $50 and pay a tech $100 to do the job if you cant solder.

Basically BIOS chip right? I've seen it done on many macbooks where they can reprogram the BIOS chip or buy a preprogrammed one if needed.

Before you do anything check your system to see if it is really iCloud locked go to this web site: Apple's Activation Lock (iCloud) check web site.

If it has the EFI password definitely it has icloud lock. Is the EFI chip that needs to be desoldered, reprogrammed and resoldered. I dont think so it will work with any other chip without to be programmed for your board. Is not an easy operation and i dont think so it is leagal too.

Alex - What!?! The hardware password (EFI) is not the same as iCloud password they are very different.

I think you're getting confused between OS-X systems (MacBook's & iMac's) Vs iOS systems (iPhone & iPad).

Review these:

- EFI firmware protection locks down newer Macs

- Is That 'iCloud-Locked' iPhone on eBay Stolen? Probably!

While Apple is transitioning OS-X used in MacBook's & iMac's to be more like iPhone's & iPad's iOS, its still a few years away at best to unitize hardware locking fully within Mac's like how iOS devices use iCloud.

Of course they are not the same. I did a computer this way and i know to make the difference, belive me. He said in his first post that it was icloud locked and when he tried to do the wipe and install asked for EFI password. 99% of the Apple computers i saw and they had the EFI password seted up, had icloud too. I know you can set them up separately and they are two different things.

Take it to the apple store and bring your proof of purchase otherwise there is no other way

Score -1

Your answer added nothing to the one given a year ago.

I was just trying to back it up

Next time just add a comment and put a statement you concur with the posting in the answer. If it was well written and correct give the person a bump in is rep score so the better answer goes to the top.

Thats how you can be supportive!

refurbish phone will be eternally grateful.