The De'Longhi EC155 is a Pump Espresso and Cappuccino maker.

Why is there no espresso coming out when the pump is on?

The machine is on and everything else is working fine, but when I turn the pump on, nothing comes out and I have no idea why.

If there is no espresso coming out of the machine, it is the result of either a lack of water in the reservoir, or a clogged pump. For the lack of water, simply refill the reservoir from any source of tap. To remove the reservoir, check out our easy to follow replacement guide. If the pump is clogged, descale the machine by using lemon juice. For instructions on how to descale the coffee-maker, check the user’s manual on page 10.

The pumps on these machines are completely plastic and thus not prone to clogging from scale buildup; scale only forms on metal surfaces. Furthermore, when descaling the machine a proper commercial descaling solution such as Dezcal or Durgol should be used; lemon juice or vinegar are sub-optimal solutions and can actually cause more problems then they solve. The very manual you linked states this clearly.

Most Helpful Answer

There are several things that can cause this. The most common is a clogged coffee basket; on this machine the basket can be disassembled for cleaning, do so and hold the metal screen up to a light to check for clogs. If the basket is clear, it's possible that your coffee is ground too fine, you're putting too much coffee in the basket or you're tamping too hard. It's also possible that the brew head screen has becomed clogged; you can remove this with a phillips head screwdriver and inspect it as you did the coffee basket screen. If you've done all of this and the issue persists then you probably having a failing pump; very common in this model as well as most other Delonghi semi-automatics.

It can also be the issue of descaling.

I clean the filter, the boiler as indicated in the manual. But after 1 year (!gasp) the machine won't deliver expresso anymore.

I found that it is suggested to descale every 200 brews! So I descaled the machine and it's back, working.

Here's what I did.

Don't load any filter.

Take a container below the boiler.

Plug the machine.

Fill the water tank with 50% white vinegar and mix with 50% of tap water.

Turn the knob for the red light, wait for the OK green light and turn to the most right option (the one that you usually make espresso with)

Wait for hot water to drip, do this during the green lights for 1/4 of the water tank.

From time to time, turn the top frothing knob and let the descaler go through.

Repeat for another 3 times, and

then do the steps again with a second tank with 25% white vinegar and 75% tap water.

Finally, load a full tank of tap water to the tank. This is to wash off the descaler from steps mentioned above.

Load another tank of water if the acid smell continues.

Once done, unplug the plug. When the machine gets a bit cooler, unscrew the boiler and clean the boiler. Put it back.

Clean the frother as well.

That should be it. It took me about 2 hours. My machine was working as usual. Hope you have success too!

Thet Htike will be eternally grateful.