Mid 2010 Model A1278 / 2.4 or 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

Booting to white screen only

My macbook pro 2010 boots up and chimes but only goes to a white screen. It doesn't get to the apple logo. I cleaned everything, changed the HD but no luck. I did SMC reset but no luck,I can't seem to PRAM (it doesnt chime a 2nd time). I tried no harddrive but still no flashing ? folder symbol. It was working fine but now not....It also wont go to drive choice (holding ALT on start up) either...any advice? It charges fine, green and amber light as it should....

It seems to get to the apple symbol and boots but only after about 5-8 minutes. So it does but this is obviously far too long....thanks

Seems everything works, just takes too long. New HD cable didn't help. Tried rolling back to Lion, didn't help, tried OSX capitan didn't help. Seems it could be a failing chipset (hardware controller). The optical drive doesn't work either....

Tried replacing HD as one of the first solutions though same problem remains, so I think its going to a technician...

I seem to have a similar issue with my Mac, however I get no chime at all, and it never boots. SMC works perfectly fine it seems, and It seems to POST though, as removing RAM makes it beep a distress signal. Did you manage to find a solution?

No unfortunately it was then a power issue - I sent it to a technician and it was repaired for a £70 fee.

My bet would be a faulty HD/IR cable. I would replace it with the more substantial one from the 2012 model. Do not get a used one! 50% of the time this faulty cable will also destroy the hard drive.

UPDATE It always helps to know what you've done. At this point I suspect bad blocks on your hard drive. Reformat the drive using the "Write Zeros" option. This will test and map out any bad blocks that may be interfering with proper access. If it fails, replace the drive.

flyxavier will be eternally grateful.