Fourth generation of the Toyota Pickup.

Why does engine rev up and down when I step on brake?

My engine isn't missing at idle or acceleration. When I step on the brake it revs up and down as if it is going to stop, but it doesn't. I let off the brake it revs/runs fine...

anyone with an answer?

Really stupid comment. Does it do the same if you turn on the headlights? The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if it is an electrical problem and that when you apply the brakes the voltage drops and therefore you don't get enough "spark" for smooth operation or perhaps the fuel pump slows etc.

Maybe disconnecting the brake light switch wiring on the brake pedal will confirm whether it is electrically related or some reaction to de acceleration, (if it only happens when moving that is).

I have had this problem also.

I have the same problem it's a leak in the break booster so when u hit the breaks it's letting extra air into the engine and therefore revving check for a suction,vacuum sound right behind the break pedal when braking it shouldn't be there. If this all matches replace your break booster

I have the same problem but I was also wondering if when it revs it wastes more gas, so I could replace asap. (It’s been using more gas than usual)

There are several different causes depending on the year and engine. If you provide that, I can steer you toward a possible solution. Let me know the year, engine model, and whether it is carbureted or fuel injected.

Some causes:

-vacuum leak

-egr valve damaging fuel line (Toyota recall)

-fast idle valve coolant tube clogged

-fast idle adjustment

-throttle position sensor malfunction

FYI

My car is a Suzuki Verona 05 and it's doing the same thing almost like my pedal was stuck or is sticking

Mine is an 06 Pacifica 3.5l and seems to have the same issue only it also doesn't with AC on and headlights too

I own a 1988 4X4, with 6 cylinder 3VZE engine and a Manual (Standard) transmission without Cruse Control. The answer lies on p.28 of the Toyota Electrical Wiring Diagram Manual. I was able to clip and tape (1) wire to cure the problem.

My truck would rev up like I was maxing the gas at every stop light. As soon as I got off the brake, everything would go back to normal. I was looking at replacing my $1000 TCCS module but it cured the problem.

If you have an Automatic transmission with Cruse Control it won't work.

What did you do? Which wire? I'm having the same problem

I have a 2006 Ford Mustang v6. Idles up and down with a soft pooping from the tail pipe Plisk when applying the brake it idles ups to 2 thousand to 1000 until the car stops then goes back to normal

I was able to fix this problem when it happened to my 1988 Toyota Custom Cab - 3VZ-E V-6 engine - standard transmission - no cruise control. If you have access to the 1988 Toyota Electrical Wiring Diagram manual, you can find the circuit that's giving you the problem on page 28 (TCCS section 6-1). You start at a 15 amp fuse (15A STOP) that feeds the STOP brake light switch (brake switch). You go through the switch, to connector N5 terminals 4 & 5 (you can check your brake switch function here - 8-14 volts when the brake is applied). You go through N5 and end up at the TCCS ECU module (Toyota Control Computer System - Engine Control Unit) terminal STP-6 under the dash on the passenger side.

This STOP brake light switch wire is not the one that activates your brake lights - it feeds a signal to the TCCS that tells the (AUTOMATIC) transmission to reset to idle and prep to go into 1st gear. I have a MANUAL transmission - and every stop light I came to, sitting there with my brakes on, would rev the engine up so high that everyone was wondering what the idiot in the Toyota Truck was doing. I talked to a Toyota Engineer and told him I was going to clip & tape the wire going to terminal STP-6. After looking through the prints with me, he said - since it was a MANUAL transmission - it looked like it would work. I clipped & taped it - the problem went away and I still drive my 1988 Toyota Custom Cab happily every day.

Joe Henry will be eternally grateful.