Apple released the slimmed-down, buffed up iPad Air on November 1, 2013 in a choice of Space Gray or Silver. It packs the custom A7 processor and ships in 16, 32, 64, and 128 GB configurations.

Why will my iPad Air not restore?

I have hooked the iPad Air up to my computer and it says I need to erase it and restore it. I have tried this and keep getting error codes. I called apple and they said I need to send it in and the repair will cost approximately $300. Is there a way I can fix it myself?

Most Helpful Answer

My guess is that this is corrupted NAND and is not repairable. Something happens that damages the NAND for no reason, and then it can't function. It is similar conceptually to a hard drive failure on a computer out of the blue.

New battery will NOT solve this issue.

Has anything happened to the iPad? Recent drops? Recent repairs? What error codes are you seeing?

Follow these steps and report back:

Plug your iPad into your computer. Hold down the power button for 5 seconds, while holding the power button, hold down the home button for 15 seconds. When the Apple logo appears, release the power button until the "Connect to iTunes" screen shows up. Restore from there.

If that fails:

Plug your iPad into your computer. Turn it off. Once its off, hold down power and home buttons for 10 seconds, then release the power button. Your screen will still be dark but your computer should let you know that it sees your phone. Restore from there.

Please let me know if that does or does not work. Also update if there has been recent repair or damage.

I'm in the same boat, hoping you can help. I'm getting the error 1014. I can't get anything to appear on the screen at all, even after holding in home and power buttons. I've tried restoring from 3 different computers, all get the same error.

It had not been dropped or gotten wet. I didn't write the error codes down, but I did share them with the apple rep and she seemed to think it was a hardware issue. She couldn't tell me exactly what, though. My computer recognizes it, but the screen will not come on no matter what I do. I've tried holding down the home and power buttons both while connected and disconnected. It says to erase and restore it, but I've tried this 6 or 7 times and every time it's almost finished restoring, it says it's unable to restore.

I have the Ipad Air that not able to restore too. Itunes dectect in Recovery mode, so I restore and update. Itune send the image to Ipad and I see the progress bar going but until the end the Ipad went back black screen again and into recovery mode. Before this, my ipad won't hold charge and shutdown. Will this cause by bad battery?

Would love to know the answer to this too. I had two that started with the following symptoms:

1) device would start to charge battery icon - for weeks

2A) One after constant charging came back to life with me sitting there alternating between off button and home button - its alive but has poor battery life

2B) the second one now has no battery indication and is black screen. Itunes see's it in recovery mode, I can restore it but the restore bar shows progress but disappears just before it finishes. logs say that it is done. Battery condition is 0. Recovery loop begins all over again.

Both devices we used on a charging trolley with IQ16 (different name in other countries or re-badges) charge station.

Time to pop the hood and have a look. I going to guess a battery, just need to buy one. I have done plenty of minis but not airs. is the Glass hard to pull?

Its Just dead Jim!

no but seriously it is a software malfunction.

when i restore I get the message that it will not be allowed to restore?

Any body else gets that message too?

Im thinking of something drastic like changing the internal flash drive maybe?

Josh will be eternally grateful.