Repair information on hard drives or hard disks. Hard drives are magnetic data storage devices. They are used in most desktop, laptop, and server due to their low cost and high data density.

Suddenly I can't save files on my external hard drive anymore!

I have Sony external hard drive HD-E2, and it was working fine; I could save files on it and copy files from it. But then, suddenly, I was only able to read from it. I find it odd since it was working great for almost 4 months.

My laptop is MacBook Pro.

However I started to have this problem after upgrading to El Capitan MacOS.

Could this be somehow related or relevant to the problem?

How to fix this problem?

I have a WD Passport HD with 4TB. When I bought it, I partitioned it, so that I could use one partition for Time machine, and the other for extra files. Now the Time Machine partition is writable, but the other partition is readable only. I cannot copy files onto it anymore. It may be due to an upgrade in my OS. I’m running High Sierra. I’ve tried to change permissions in the INFO section of the partition, but everything is greyed out. How can I get read and write permissions without having to reformat the whole HD? Thanks for your help.

I have an intel tower that has a write disk drive. I have put a disk and I am unable to save files to the cd drive.

1. Shot in the dark - try running Disk Utilities and repair the permissions.

2. Click once on the drive, go under File to "get info" and see if you have Write permission.

My Toshiba Portable is having the same problem after my recent upgrade. It is showing that I do not have write permission. Is there a way to change it so that I can write again?

Cj I'm strictly Mac. Please ask a new question and tell what machine you are using and what OS.

I'm sorry, I have a macbook pro.

I'm on windows 10 and I don't have admin permission to change that. I can't even change myself to admin.

I'm strictly Mac. Please ask a new question and tell what machine you are using and what OS.

https://www.boxaid.com/blog/fix-read-ext...

For those still struggling: I have a Seagate External HD that was never partitioned for Mac as I use it to share files between Windows and Apple computers. Suddenly I wasn't able to write/copy files to the HD (maybe due to upgrades of my MacOS?). Followed the advice of this website and downloaded the recommended helper for Seagate. Very helpful.

The best solution for this is reformatting your external hard disk or check for errors in hard drive. Some times you received permission error, and you just need to ignore permissions.

What if i can't afford to lose my files??

I could not do either. It says under permission it has read and write. But just above it says you can only read. I used this disk on mac only for the last two years.

I have the exact situation as bhandr

I have the same situation did you ever solve this?

Mayer was correct!! i I right clicked on the drive from the desktop and choose “get info”. you will need to unlock the drive located on the bottom right hand corner. put in your password and put a check next to “ignore ownership on this volume.” lock it back up and try it. .it totally worked for me.

Not clear. Bottom right corner of which window.

Moath will be eternally grateful.