Complete disassembly and installation guides for most recent Mac laptops and consumer desktops.

My startup disc is full

My startup disc was full and blocking new downloads. I took my powerbook 4 to a shop and doubled the memory but it still kept saying startup disc full. The person in the shop then said it wasn't a lack of memory but that everything was being saved in the wrong place and not to the memory which is all still available. I don't seem to have an option of where to save things when they download. I live in Turkey and can't get an explanation in English.

Most Helpful Answer

Delete unused files

Your Hard drive (not memory) is full. The system needs 10-20% of your maximum HD space kept available as "free" space for temporary files so on a an 80GB HD you should always leave 800-1600MB unused. The larger the drive the more space you need to leave unused.

Do some housecleaning!

• Cache files can always be deleted, they can easily become quite large (internet browser and iMovie/FinalCut caches for example)
  • Unused applications can be deleted
  • Unused images, movies,large PDF and other file types (.dmg, .PPT or .PPS, iTunes & podcasts) can also take up lots of room.
  • Compress your email and delete old emails with attachments.
  • Maybe you've put the files in the trash but never actually emptied the trash?

If this answer is acceptable please return and mark it.

Good Luck,

N.

Good answer +

Lotte Pang will be eternally grateful.