The second generation HTC One—dubbed the HTC One (M8)—features a dual flash and the new Sense 6 UI, and was released March 25, 2014.

Tape over Ribbon Cable

I've disassembled and repaired my HTC One, but I can't really get all the tape that was covering the ribbon cables to re-adhere. My impression is that it was just there to keep things in place, and maybe prevent shorting. In that case can I use regular electrical tape instead? If not, where can I find the right tape?

You are correct, that tape is used to hold the cables in place. Especially with an HTC phone, they have a tendency to run lots of cables everywhere! The tape that is being used is called Kapton Tape. Its a heat resistant thin tape, and has multiple uses in the electronic repair industry. iFixit sells this tape for about $10. You can also find it on eBay for about $5 (both links below). You could probably apply a little electrical tape to hold the cables down, I wouldn't use too much since electrical tape is thicker than the Kapton and you don't want that thickness to interfere with something not laying properly.

Polyimide Tape

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10mm-X-100Ft-Gol...

Polyimide Tape Image

Product

Polyimide Tape

$9.99

Can anyone confirm this works? The tape on the ribbon cables is silver and has an almost fabric-like consistency to it, the polyimide tape shown above is copper in colour, is translucent and has a plastic-film consistency to it.

I have the same issue as the OP and want to make sure I'm not taping the ribbon cables down with something I shouldn't.

So I'm the op. No guarantee it works, but it seemed to for me. I did lose nfc upon reassembly, but I can't pin that to the tape and not the having been dunked in a wine cooler for hours before I opened it, my Rom, or the fact that it was my first time opening one of these.

Tldr: it's probably fine, but no guarantee.

Adiventure will be eternally grateful.