Repair guides and support for coffee makers by Keurig including the K-Cup systems.

Hot water coming out of the soft vent into the Water Reservoir

Original Post: Keurig Elite B-40 Brewer

This morning, instead of sending hot water through the K-cup, the hot water is coming out of the soft vent over the Water Reservoir, and is draining into the Water Reservoir

This worked for me yay! Was just about to head out to spend over $150 on a new machine but the 2 cent paperclip has prevailed. Thank you!

This did not fix mine.

jonschlaman what did not fix yours? what have you tried? What model is your Keurig?

I have the k70. I descaled, used the paper clip, and took the machine apart looking for a clog. It brews about half of what it should and the rest seems to drain back into the reservoir.

i used the vinegar treatment a few days ago and was good for a day and today i used the toothdental pick and it worked for now......:-) gives me my 12 oz with the large cup again ( let it run for 3 brews as a post test). Thanks

I fixed it myself.

Actually, I found the answer on U-Tube.

Coffee grounds from the K-cups (especially the reusable cups that you fill from grounds you buy or grind yourself) can get splashed up into the small outlet spout where the hot water is dispensed. This eventually creates a clog, and the hot water is rerouted to drain back into the water reservoir.

I simply straightened the wire on a paperclip, and inserted it into the outlet where hot water comes out. Instantly hot water started to drain out along with some coffee grounds. I repeated the brew cycle until no more grounds were washed out...and it's worked perfectly ever since. JoInMaine, grateful to U-tube.

Awesome! Thank you. It worked. Miracle of the net once again and the generous contribution of whoever posted the solution in the first place and the generous contribution of whoever carried on the torch. My Keurig works !

Worked for me as well!

It was an odd thing, I thought was kinda funny. But was happy to see a solution online that fixed it well. Thank you

I'm having the same issue. But water comes thru vent and still coming thru water spout.

I'm def going to try this..hopefully it works for me as well!

THANK YOU ! This worked and it was amazing how many grounds came out. I couldn't fit a paper clip but used a floss pick ...I have these little plastic disposable floss picks with a tiny brush on the end that fit perfect!

I also had the water coming out of overflow. Was not a plugged up piercer in my case but rather the little check valve in the silicone hose that comes from the top of hot water tank to the piercer was stuck. Took it apart and unstuck the o-ring then reassembled. Back to like new operation.

Water dripping out of hole on left side of the white plastic overflow vent and into tank. Did the paper clip thing, took top cover off exposing the waterline that goes into the piercer. It was clear....... So, I must have a more serious problem developing. Other than the dripping, the machine works perfectly. I'm still getting full cups ( I measured to be sure) of coffee and the machine isn't making any unusual noises. Flow coming from piercer is excellent. What I ended up doing is sticking a piece of rubber band up into the vent hole where the water is dripping to stop it. So far, everything is still working. Long story short, I bought another discontinued NON 2.0 Platinum Plus ( they're getting harder to find) as a back up.

Worked great! I also ran vinegar through it to be extra sure!

How the *&^% do you take the top off ?

Paper clip did the trick! Now B's k to enjoying my Saturday morning! Thanks so much for the post!

My Keueig was returning water to the reservoir. Not a drop was coming out where it was supposed to come out. I tried the paper clip - side note, I only had plastic coated paper clips. That coating came undone on about the 3rd ramming of the puncture apparatus. Fortunately I saw it and peeled it off before I jammed it up into wherever whatever else was stuck.

I filled the reservoir with 50/50 cleaning vinegar & water, ran it 3 times & all went back to the reservoir. (Reservoir now has spiderweb design - guess it wasn't designed to accept all that hot liquid return.)

I paper clipped it again. Still no luck.

I went back to Googling. Found a suggestion to turn unit over and give it a few good whacks. So I took off the reservoir and spanked my Keurig in the kitchen sink. Another unsuccessful run, the water ran straight into the reservoir.

Google said attach a straw and blow air thru the reservoir return valve. My return valve is wide with 2 small holes on either side. I wasn't about to rig something air tight to accommodate, so I just put my mouth over the %#*@ thing & blew.

Back to vinegar brew. Still no luck. I thoroughly reamed the puncture section with the paper clip again, followed by flipping it on its side & blowing copious amounts of air thru the the reservoir return. I set it to brew more vinegar/water & went back to Googling when I heard an unfamiliar sound. I ran to the kitchen AND HOT WATER WAS COMING OUT WHERE HOT WATER IS SUPPOSED TO COME OUT OF!!!!!

Hallelujah!

I'm now cycling out the balance of the vinegar (replacing it with plain cold water), and will continue to do so til I don't smell vinegar anymore.

Rejoice. I shall be surprising my oldest daughter next week with her very own Keurig. Since I ran out & bought a new one when this one stopped working.

Lucky kid!

JoInMaine will be eternally grateful.