Released April 2010 / 2.4, 2.53 GHz Core i5 or 2.66, 2.8 GHz Core i7 Processors

Can I upgrade my MBP Mid 2010 with Samsung 850 Pro SSD

My 500gb HDD just failed on me so I am taking the opportunity to smack in an SSD into my Mid 2010 MBP and do a clean install of the OS. Does the Samsung 850 Pro(512GB) compatible with my MBP? Anyone out there with the same MBP model upgraded theirs with the 850 Pro? Any other brands/model that I can look in to if its not compatible?

Additional information:

Macbook Pro 6,2 (Mid 2010)

Intel core i7 2.66GHz

8GB Ram

NVidia Geforce 330M

To start with you'll need to follow this IFIXIT guide: MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2010 Hard Drive Replacement to replace your current drive with a SSD.

As to who's SSD: We have mostly been using Samsung's EVO SSD's We don't use the Pro version. While many claim the Pro's speed and longer warranty is better. In the real world the EVO will serve you just as well at a lower cost. Here's a good write up: Samsung 850 PRO 2TB SSD Vs Samsung 850 EVO 2TB SSD while they are biased to the Pro, our user's experience over two plus years of use suggest the EVO was just fine.

The only thing here I do strongly recommend is you run the latest version of Yosemite (10.10.4 or newer) as it has TRIM services natively. You'll need to follow this: How to enable TRIM on third-party SSDs in OS X.

You'll want to get a large enough drive so 1/4 to 1/3 of it is kept free once you install all of your stuff. If you are finding the price of the SSD is getting too high for the size you need you may want to think about a SSHD drive like Seagate's or a dual drive like Western Digitals Black2 drive instead.

Don't forget to make sure your systems firmware is up to date before you start. Follow this Apple T/N: About EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Mac computers

So the bottom line here is: The water is just fine which ever SSD you go with ;-}

Update: Western Digital is no longer selling the Black2 drive.

Yes. Working very well on my MBP mid 2010, i7 2.66, 8 GB RAM.

regards

Hi, I can confirm it works just fine. No idea on Evo vs. Pro, I just got a good deal on the Pro and got a 512Gb version. Have it for 6 months in my mid 2010 15" and it's lovely.

rdknp will be eternally grateful.