Announced September 9th, 2014, this device is Apple's first foray into smart wearables. iFixit's repair manuals are applicable to Apple Watch (steel) and Apple Watch Sport (aluminum).

Apple watch 32mm Digitizer only repair?

Okay so I repair many apple devices. I recently purchased an apple watch with a cracked digitizer. I am aware that the LCD is fused with the digitizer to essentially make them "one part". But on ebay, etc. I see tons of OEM digitizer only apple watch parts. So my question is:

Is it possible to seperate my cracked digitizer and working LCD and then somehow fuse the old LCD with the new digitizer? Im sure it must be possible if they are selling the digitizer seperate, if it is possible could someone explain how to go about doing so? Note ifixit guides and ALL guides i have come across ONLY show how to replace the LCD/digitizer as a whole. I want to replace digitizer only. Please do not respond with its not possible. If its not possible explain why all the digitizers I find do not include a fused LCD.

thanks in advance

It is possible to separate them (with a ton of work) as this member showed in his guide: Apple Watch 42mm Glass Digitizer Only Replacement

Its a pretty well made guide and he gets a really clean separation, but it takes a ton of work to do it and some specialized tools.

He still hasn't finished it or reapplied the digitizer. I don't think he has the part yet but I think the biggest issue with replacing just the glass is going to be reapplying the super thick clear adhesive between the LCD and Digitizer. If you can find a way to get your hands on whatever that adhesive is, you could probably do it.

I've been experimenting on some watches to find an easier way to separate the two that would actually be easily doable for the average person, but mostly I've just been ending up with broken Apple Watches.

Thank for the response. The guide is extremely helpful.

After the guide is complete and if I can get my hands on the optically clear adhesive, and other tools I would like to attempt this repair but I will need to know that if I fail I can purchase the fused lcd/digitizer.

Problem is I cannot find the fused LCD/digitizer anywere. Does anyone know where the part can be purchased? It has to be OEM quality from a trustworthy vendor. Perhaps I should wait around and over time iFixit will have this part available for purchase? Or is this not going to happen any time soon?

Its funny how eBay vendors sell tons of Digitizer only apple watch parts with the "repair kit" included but the repair kit includes 2 screw drivers a plying tool and a cloth. This made me assume it was an easy fix. I am starting to realize purchasing a cracked apple watch even for a great price was not a great decision.

The LCD is not available to consumers. Only Apple has the LCD's. But I did hear of an LCDcycle place that sells just the LCD but they are expensive. My guess is that they are from other watches they disassembled. That is why you won't find them easily, or cheap for that matter.

you can get a full lcd screen assembly for Apple Watch here http://www.amazon.com/Ogodeal-Replacemen...

Kyle Pretorius will be eternally grateful.