Won't restore and has white screen

My ipod touch 2nd generation wont restore when plugged into my computer, itunes says error 21, this leaves me with a white unresponsive screen, pushing the home and sleep button doesnt help whatsoever, i have tried them all, when taken out of the computer ipod wont turn on.

Also there is a small crack where the digitizer ribbon is. This ipod was bought as a faulty one and therefore i cant explain how it is faulty. If anyone knows anything about howit can be fixed that would be great. Thanks

Most Helpful Answer

Error 21 (to my understanding) is regarding firmware problems. Replacing the lcd screen has nothing to do with this.

I found this another person who seems to have a similar problem - you can see the process of how they solved it here: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/31/63007-it...

As for the crack near the digitizer ribbon, if you mean that the logic board is cracked, then you may well need to replace the logic board, but I would try the quicker, easier fix above first.

Thanks for that will give it a go, no the logic board is ok, theres a crack on the screen but that is only minor, have ordered a screen and should arrive soon.

+ good starting point for a fix. the main problem on those errors are sometimes almost empty batteries and low powered usb ports. restoring the firmware needs a lot of energy, i did that ones with a faulty ipod touch, i charged the battery externally and was to lazy to resolder it at this point - so i pressed my finger on the 3 contacts - that update was "hot". the white screen can be almost anything - it can be a shot lcd controller, a broken lcd or a faulty firmware.

eanna Keane will be eternally grateful.