Repair and disassembly guides for HP printers.

Full cartridge but ink not printing.

The black ink won't print on our printer. We thought it was out of ink but replaced it and the black ink still won't print. It acts like its printing but it's almost like the black printing components aren't working.

HP Officejet 4620

Ours is running but not printing.

Can somebody help? My HP photosmart C309A, after changing new ink the black big one, does not print? Some document, it can print light/grey color picture (blurred) but no text at all. I try cleaning all the advices above but none of them work! Please help, thanks

What they used to call 'Photo Black' is actually gray, and is used when printing color. You should try soaking the print head in warm water about 10 minutes to make sure it's clean. See if you can borrow another black cartridge to determine if your new one is defective. The Black cartridge is used to print all test reports, so when Black doesn't print, those reports print a blank page. Also, without the main Black cartridge, alignment will fail.

I just replaced all 5 cartridges AND the print head, and my C309a still won't print with the (main) Black cartridge. Colors and photo black all okay. So it's now a boat anchor, with > $120 new parts. I'm going to disassemble to see if I can find an interruption in the black print signals.

Same problem. Tried all cleaning, pin, new cartridge, etc. Still trying to figure it out.

Hi, I finally got mine working 2 days ago, was so happy, I had to realign the printer in the tools menu on the printer screen!

I was so happy!

BUT, TODAY THE SAME PROBLEM, I am done with HP printers!

I just bought an Epson XP434, at wal mart, it prints pages and photos, it does not fax or print two sides.

It is a special model made for WalMart, it was $49.99

Model XP 440 which is sold by Staples and Office Max is the same but $59.99

It is a little smaller, but has pretty good reviews!

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

Most Helpful Answer

Did you remove the little piece piece of tape on the bottom of cartridge.

Yes I did. The printer sounds as if it's printing. It will print colour but not black. Any other ideas?

I cannot locate a command to clean the ink jet. Installed new black cartridge.

Go to tools on the printer. Tap clean print heads.

Head on over to the "Clean Printheads". When nothing comes up click proceed to the next level. I ran it almost 10 times before the black in came through.

I was having the same problem today. Ran carriage under water and dried. Still didn't work. Looked under tools menu on the printer screen and noticed "clean cartridges." Chose that option. I guess it did the job, because it ran a test print and when we tried to print again it worked just fine.

it worked for me.

I tried twice "Aligne Printheads" and "Print test" but it wasnt printing yellow at all.

"Clean Printheads" did its job perfectly

Heck yeah! Who knew such an option even existed. Lol!

Get a small but sturdy paint brush (the kind children use for water colours), and brush the carriage under the ink tray. Worked for me.

I have had this happen twice with my HP Deskjet 3510. I got on HP phone support and went through all the steps & tips both times and nothing helped. Finally, they suggested I try ANOTHER new black ink cartridge, and it worked perfectly. Apparently, the initial ink cartridges were defective. HP sent me a new cartridge and I mailed the defective one back to them.

How did you get ahold of them? I have been searching and searching for a customer service phone number and I can't come up with anything.

I have the EXACT same issue, but I already went out and bought the new ink on my own. I just want to see if they will replace the defective one since I spent money on it.

I'm using windows 10, 64 bit and my Officejet 4620 printer wouldn't print black despite having a new HP cartridge. I removed the printer, uninstalled the software and set up the printer again from scratch. It now works.

kinda helpful

This is exactly the issue I was seeing. I washed the head, replaced the inks, changed the printer head... All to no avail. Very frustrating.

At this point, sadly, the most effective solution I can see is simply replace the unit. I've already spent far too much on what is now a defective machine.

Seems such a waste though.

see http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Is...

Followed everything. I am getting the notification that the ink carriage cannot move. It does make a bang inside but I can move it back and forth easily with my hand. I noticed that it drops down a little on the right hand side. Perhaps into a locking position? I also think there is some sort of a ink tray below it. Lots of ink there. Unfortunately I cannot get this to print still.

I rinsed out the printer head under tap and used an alcohol que tip to clean out the head. It cleans out the dried gunk in the head that is left there. It seemed to do the trick

How do you remove the printer head?

You can't remove the print head on an OJ 4620.

Two things that work :

1) go under Advanced printer settings and change everything to black or gray scale. This will allow you to print in black if your color cartridges are empty.

2) take out the black ink cartridge and use a small stiff paint brush and brush the printer head ( looks like a little round mesh metal screen) I went back-and-forth and in a circular motion several times and then replaced the ink cartridge. A little dab of rubbing alcohol may help.

read this article that helps you to stop HP from stopping u using refilled cartridge permently

https://support.bchtechnologies.com/hc/e...

call H.P. for help

they fixed mine for free. 1-800-474-6836

you'll get this recording saying to go to the web site but just wait it will send you to somebody after awhile.

then tell them whats going on and they will help you fix it

I called but they did not fix mine since it was out of warranty; tried to sell me a new HP printer instead.

Fed up with over seas hard to understand HP resolution customer service. My calls should be in North America only!

Both printers started not printing, replaced cartridges over and over. Did ALL the fixes possible.

Called HP India, .... no reimbursement what so ever, xcept to resell me another for 200.00 that won't have" any problems" He said) !!!!!

hmmmm And that was the supervisor aswell. Wow!

Complete junk, scrapping all my HP's. too bad I can't attach a pic to see what fun crushing them under big truck tires looks like for you with the same problems.

My money was good. HP looses a customer. Dboy

I bought a Canon Pixma mx530. Seems good so far. Paired up with iPhone and iPad like nothing. But with MAC, hmmmmm

Little problem. Don't feel like sorting it out. Best of luck DannyBoy

I went to set up then tools then align printhead...nothing. Then I went to set up then tools then clean printhead and we're back in business

I just talked to HP support, they said to replace printer because print head is defective. My printer was printing blank pages I replaced all ink cartridge black, cyan, magenta and yellow, it still printed blank pages. My advice, find a better brand. HP sucks.

Keep cleaning the cartridges, you have to keep doing it over and over.

Here are some instructions on cleaning out the printhead directly in the printer with a syringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ4tXNYP...

What worked for us was to clean the "vent" on the top of the cartridge. Step 3 in this support page from HP.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c0...

Good luck.

My cartridges are all new!!!

Buy a canon like I did. No more HP for me

REAL ANSWER.

As in most HP printers, the printer heads are on a Carriage tray into which the ink Cartridges click into. The ONLY REAL way to clear the problem is take it to a local printer / PC tech service and ask them to remove AND CLEAN the Carriage Tray in a soft solvent to clear the dried residue from the actual heads themselves. This will involve unscrewing a few panels to enable the Carriage tray to be removed. Not difficult. The cartridges themselves are NOT the problem in this instance. This will happen if the printer has been idle for some time. Once gummed up pouring more printer ink (head cleaning) into an already blocked and dried up head system will not work as many have already experienced. Also a good time to clean the ADF feeding, drive and pickup rollers, coder stripe and panels. The Printer is fine - resist the urge to chuck it. I have done this and HP 4625 works well once more.

EmilyB will be eternally grateful.