Repair and disassembly guides for HP printers.

Full cartridge but ink not printing.

The black ink won't print on our printer. We thought it was out of ink but replaced it and the black ink still won't print. It acts like its printing but it's almost like the black printing components aren't working.

HP Officejet 4620

Ours is running but not printing.

Can somebody help? My HP photosmart C309A, after changing new ink the black big one, does not print? Some document, it can print light/grey color picture (blurred) but no text at all. I try cleaning all the advices above but none of them work! Please help, thanks

What they used to call 'Photo Black' is actually gray, and is used when printing color. You should try soaking the print head in warm water about 10 minutes to make sure it's clean. See if you can borrow another black cartridge to determine if your new one is defective. The Black cartridge is used to print all test reports, so when Black doesn't print, those reports print a blank page. Also, without the main Black cartridge, alignment will fail.

I just replaced all 5 cartridges AND the print head, and my C309a still won't print with the (main) Black cartridge. Colors and photo black all okay. So it's now a boat anchor, with > $120 new parts. I'm going to disassemble to see if I can find an interruption in the black print signals.

Same problem. Tried all cleaning, pin, new cartridge, etc. Still trying to figure it out.

Hi, I finally got mine working 2 days ago, was so happy, I had to realign the printer in the tools menu on the printer screen!

I was so happy!

BUT, TODAY THE SAME PROBLEM, I am done with HP printers!

I just bought an Epson XP434, at wal mart, it prints pages and photos, it does not fax or print two sides.

It is a special model made for WalMart, it was $49.99

Model XP 440 which is sold by Staples and Office Max is the same but $59.99

It is a little smaller, but has pretty good reviews!

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

Most Helpful Answer

Did you remove the little piece piece of tape on the bottom of cartridge.

Yes I did. The printer sounds as if it's printing. It will print colour but not black. Any other ideas?

I cannot locate a command to clean the ink jet. Installed new black cartridge.

Go to tools on the printer. Tap clean print heads.

Head on over to the "Clean Printheads". When nothing comes up click proceed to the next level. I ran it almost 10 times before the black in came through.

I refilled my hp61 cartridge and it would not print. I then put clear tape over the contacts and now prints fine. Please don't ask why it works with the tape on and will not if I remove it because I don't know.

I was having the same problem today. Ran carriage under water and dried. Still didn't work. Looked under tools menu on the printer screen and noticed "clean cartridges." Chose that option. I guess it did the job, because it ran a test print and when we tried to print again it worked just fine.

it worked for me.

I tried twice "Aligne Printheads" and "Print test" but it wasnt printing yellow at all.

"Clean Printheads" did its job perfectly

Heck yeah! Who knew such an option even existed. Lol!

Um but that did not work for me. I did that but it just printed out a piece of paper which different colors on it. Then I tried to print my PowerPoint stuff again and it still didn't work.

This is exactly the issue I was seeing. I washed the head, replaced the inks, changed the printer head... All to no avail. Very frustrating.

At this point, sadly, the most effective solution I can see is simply replace the unit. I've already spent far too much on what is now a defective machine.

Seems such a waste though.

I'm using windows 10, 64 bit and my Officejet 4620 printer wouldn't print black despite having a new HP cartridge. I removed the printer, uninstalled the software and set up the printer again from scratch. It now works.

kinda helpful

Get a small but sturdy paint brush (the kind children use for water colours), and brush the carriage under the ink tray. Worked for me.

Buy a canon like I did. No more HP for me

Just bought Canon MG3620 at OfficeMax $39.95 with a $30.00 rebate = net cost $9.95 and it has all the features of the old HP officejet 6000 with none of the drawbacks, is much less bulky, includes a scanner, double sided printing, wireless, autostart, instant offline pushbutton copying, and is faster. No more HP printers for me! They are just a pain in the a$$.

Bought cannon after 8 months have exactly same problem everyone is describing new cartridges but does not print black.... soooooo frustratingly

I have had this happen twice with my HP Deskjet 3510. I got on HP phone support and went through all the steps & tips both times and nothing helped. Finally, they suggested I try ANOTHER new black ink cartridge, and it worked perfectly. Apparently, the initial ink cartridges were defective. HP sent me a new cartridge and I mailed the defective one back to them.

How did you get ahold of them? I have been searching and searching for a customer service phone number and I can't come up with anything.

I have the EXACT same issue, but I already went out and bought the new ink on my own. I just want to see if they will replace the defective one since I spent money on it.

Two things that work :

1) go under Advanced printer settings and change everything to black or gray scale. This will allow you to print in black if your color cartridges are empty.

2) take out the black ink cartridge and use a small stiff paint brush and brush the printer head ( looks like a little round mesh metal screen) I went back-and-forth and in a circular motion several times and then replaced the ink cartridge. A little dab of rubbing alcohol may help.

see http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Is...

Followed everything. I am getting the notification that the ink carriage cannot move. It does make a bang inside but I can move it back and forth easily with my hand. I noticed that it drops down a little on the right hand side. Perhaps into a locking position? I also think there is some sort of a ink tray below it. Lots of ink there. Unfortunately I cannot get this to print still.

I rinsed out the printer head under tap and used an alcohol que tip to clean out the head. It cleans out the dried gunk in the head that is left there. It seemed to do the trick

How do you remove the printer head?

You can't remove the print head on an OJ 4620.

read this article that helps you to stop HP from stopping u using refilled cartridge permently

https://support.bchtechnologies.com/hc/e...

call H.P. for help

they fixed mine for free. 1-800-474-6836

you'll get this recording saying to go to the web site but just wait it will send you to somebody after awhile.

then tell them whats going on and they will help you fix it

I called but they did not fix mine since it was out of warranty; tried to sell me a new HP printer instead.

Fed up with over seas hard to understand HP resolution customer service. My calls should be in North America only!

Both printers started not printing, replaced cartridges over and over. Did ALL the fixes possible.

Called HP India, .... no reimbursement what so ever, xcept to resell me another for 200.00 that won't have" any problems" He said) !!!!!

hmmmm And that was the supervisor aswell. Wow!

Complete junk, scrapping all my HP's. too bad I can't attach a pic to see what fun crushing them under big truck tires looks like for you with the same problems.

My money was good. HP looses a customer. Dboy

I bought a Canon Pixma mx530. Seems good so far. Paired up with iPhone and iPad like nothing. But with MAC, hmmmmm

Little problem. Don't feel like sorting it out. Best of luck DannyBoy

I went to set up then tools then align printhead...nothing. Then I went to set up then tools then clean printhead and we're back in business

I just talked to HP support, they said to replace printer because print head is defective. My printer was printing blank pages I replaced all ink cartridge black, cyan, magenta and yellow, it still printed blank pages. My advice, find a better brand. HP sucks.

Buy generic--worth the $10. If those don't work then maybe the printer is defective. I'd tried every other fix for HP cartridges and they still wouldn't print, but generic worked the first time.

Keep cleaning the cartridges, you have to keep doing it over and over.

Tried that. Worked for one day. Never worked again (despite running "clean printheads multiple times a day, for days in a row).

Here are some instructions on cleaning out the printhead directly in the printer with a syringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ4tXNYP...

What worked for us was to clean the "vent" on the top of the cartridge. Step 3 in this support page from HP.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c0...

Good luck.

My cartridges are all new!!!

REAL ANSWER.

As in most HP printers, the printer heads are on a Carriage tray into which the ink Cartridges click into. The ONLY REAL way to clear the problem is take it to a local printer / PC tech service and ask them to remove AND CLEAN the Carriage Tray in a soft solvent to clear the dried residue from the actual heads themselves. This will involve unscrewing a few panels to enable the Carriage tray to be removed. Not difficult. The cartridges themselves are NOT the problem in this instance. This will happen if the printer has been idle for some time. Once gummed up pouring more printer ink (head cleaning) into an already blocked and dried up head system will not work as many have already experienced. Also a good time to clean the ADF feeding, drive and pickup rollers, coder stripe and panels. The Printer is fine - resist the urge to chuck it. I have done this and HP 4625 works well once more.

Genuine cartridges didn't work. Generic ones did. It's an HP cartridge problem.

Changed ink cartridges printer says ink low and won't print. Ink was not out at all.

Printer still not working! Give an answer?

Wireless light on, should print. Got blank paper on copy, printer checks. Why no wireless reception?

Tried so many fixes suggested here and elsewhere. Finally solved the problem by pitching my $25 authentic HP cartridges which I could no longer return, and purchasing a set of 5 generic cartridges on Amazon for $10. They work beautifully. HP, if you want to keep our business you need to make your customer service much more user-friendly. Shouldn't have to spend hours of my billable time trying to figure out how to get one simple printer cartridge to work, when one that costs 1/10th of the price works with no hassle. Won't buy genuine cartridges ever again.

The problem is related to a clog you can't easily get rid of without physically removing the printhead and soaking it in hot water. I fixed this on a removable printhead model and it printed perfectly after I cleaned the head this way.

While my guide covers the cleaning process, it doesn't cover the required disassembly to remove the printhead on permanently installed printers. I don't have one of these, so I can't repeat the procedure on a printer with a similarly mounted printhead like you have. It's also highly unlikely I'll ever do it unless I get the printer for free and the owner doesn't want it back. You don't want to get water in the flatflex connectors, so only use a small amount of water. This is potentially deadly, as some of these printers are known to demand SETUP ink the owners probably no longer have.

Now that that's out of the way here's the relevant guides to your situation:

HP Photosmart Plus B210a Image

Guide

Cleaning the printhead in a HP Photosmart Plus B210a (Gentle)

Difficulty:

Easy

6 hours

HP Photosmart 5520 Image

Guide

HP Photosmart 5520 Maintenance

Difficulty:

Moderate

30 minutes

What eventually worked for me was performing a HARD RESET as explainted in step 5 below after completing the other 4 steps first.

I experienced the same problem with my HP 6500A Plus all-in-one printer and here is what eventually worked. If you have

1) performed a soft reset by pulling out the power cord from the back of the printer while it is still on then reconnecting after 15 seconds.

2) Cleaned the printed head (if it is removable, lift the lever and run the printer heads under warm running water then thoroughly dry.

3) You may need to take a tissue of lint-free paper towel, dab some warm water on the end, and hold it over the ink release portion of the cartridge before reinserting into the printhead.

4) Replace any empty cartridges. HP Printers are notorious for not allowing a print job go through if an empty ink cartridge needs to be replaced.

5) What ultimately worked for me after completing the above steps was performing a HARD RESET. While the machine was still on, I pulled out the printhead and ink cartridges (also cleaned them) then pulled out the power cord from the back of the printer while it was still on. After waiting 15 seconds, I replugged the power cord into the back and waited for the error message: "printer error with printhead/catridges". Next I put the printhead back, then the ink catridges, which forced the machine to go through an intialization and alignment process. It took at least 10 minutes for it to cycle through. I printed a test page and saw it finally printed black (I already present it to print black ink only).

The syringe is filled with air problem I recommend that you insert the needle as far as possible and angle it toward the print head. Remove the plunger from the syringe and put in the correct amount of ink. Let the ink slowly enter the cartridge by gravity.

Go to control panel and click tools of the printer. And then click clean print heads. This will resolve your problem

EmilyB will be eternally grateful.