lightning cord broke off while removing it from iPad , jamming port

Half of the metal charger broke off, leaving other half stuck inside my iPad mini.

How can I fix this?

Like a broken-off headphone plug, some people have had luck using superglue on the remainder of the plug and using it to pull the broken-off tip out of the lightning socket.

Here's an example from YouTube.

This is inherently risky, so be careful!

I tried that and it did not work. Honestly, After trying it I don't know how it could've worked for the people who suggested it, either!

Yes it is very tough. The other thing to try would be a pair of 'needle point' tweezers,. The port has a little more width than the plug...and fixit does stock these.

Most Helpful Answer

Can you fit a set of tweezers in there?

I've honestly never had this. I am tempted to break a lightning cable off inside one just to find out how to fix it.

see my comment below!

I've tried EVERYTHING, and cannot get that little tiny bit of the charger out of the port slot. I've tried using the tiniest tweezers and nothing works, it won't budge. The Ipad mini is my daughter's and the reason it happened was because she would just yank the cord out instead of being more careful and unplugging it from the source. I went to the Apple store and they said that it would cost at least $300 to fix it! If you google about this you will find its happened to hundreds of other people too, but nobody seems to have the solution that works for us.

Taking a closer look at a Lightning cable and dock, the cable snaps in on both sides. Its going to take some work to get it out. If you can't get a set a tweezers in there, it might be time to take it to a shop. A dock replacement is pretty straight forward on those. I would not do superglue as the dock is plastic the the connector is metal, so the glue will bond with the dock way before and way strong than the connector.

nkelley will be eternally grateful.