A washer series by Maytag with a low rate of customer satisfaction and a high rate of failure.

Why will my dryer turn on but won't start?

I can turn the power button on and the start button is blinking. It is on timed dry but the estimated time is blank (3 slashes like ---) When I press the start button it beeps once but does not start.

Most Helpful Answer

Sounds like a possible door switch issue. Try opening the door and see if you get get a code on the display and a beep and the code 8:88.

Update 1/11/16

For others asking similar questions, unplug the machine for 5 minutes to allow it to reset.

I had the same problem. Control panel beeps, lights go on, NO time shows and no action. This is a dryer and the only thing happening was a power outage yesterday. Everything else is fine. Clothes washer is working ok.. We tried the door switch as suggested and nothing..

This happened to me this morning, how did you resolve the problem?

When this happened to me, I checked the door mechanism first. It was not the culprit. It cost me $58 to have someone come out and tell me that the main control board was broke. The cost of this main control board is restrictive. Just went out and bought a new inexpensive replacement dryer.

callie738 will be eternally grateful.