Laptops manufactured by Toshiba.

Touchpad disabled every time I restart

hey guys, i own a toshiba satelite c660. some time back i installed virtual box, some few hours later, everything in the laptop broke down, the sound stop working, the vga was in its list resolution, the usb ports died, half of the keyboard failed, the touchpad stopped working, i tried and fixed all the problems, that is except the touchpad issue. when i log in, the touchpad is off, i enable it by fn + f9, but even if the laptop goes to sleep, the touchpad gets disabled again. It extends even when am installing other OS, i.e linux, the touchpad isnt working at all here and not even fn + f9 works. and i cant use an external mouse because the usb ports died completely, not even charging

please help

Most Helpful Answer

Ha! Just fixed it with a random thought. Tried so many things too!!

The previous owner (it's a work notebook) had jammed something into one of the USB ports and broken it. The plastic/insulating center piece had been broken off and two of the pins were very bent and making contact with the upper surface, I grabbed some tweezers and straightened them out.

When I switched it back on....Boom, a mouse pointer without having to hit Fn+F9 prior to the login screen.

I suspect the contacts made by the bent pins was somehow fooling the OS into thinking there was a USB mouse connected and so shutting off the trackpad by default. Only think I can think it is.

Woo hoo (hope it is a similar fix for you )

Try doing a master restore before going into the os, sounds like all the drivers got corrupted

ill like loose all my stuff, aint it better to just reinstall.

but my problem is why is the touchpad not working at all even when running livecds of linux distros

It sounds like a driver issue, im not familiar with linux so I cant say.

Not an answer (sorry), but I am having the same issue with the C660. Was occurring on a Win7 OS, installed Win 10 fresh and it persisted. Updated BIOS (although it was ancient), still occurring.

With a different OS and on a formatted partition at that, seems to be a hardware/BIOS issue. Doubt Toshiba will address this on such an old machine though. Seems to be a post-login necessity from now on

Fn+F9 for life

Dennis Mwasela will be eternally grateful.