My iPhone will not turn on after several hours of charging. HELP?

Alright so my phone has always had a battery problem. By that I mean my battery would be randomly low. For instance, I could charge it for an hour and it'll be 100% and as soon as I take it off the charger it would be on 70%.

In the past when my phone has died completely, it would take an hour or more for the phone to come back on after being on the charger.

Yesterday, my phone was freezing up so I willingly turned it off at 50%. I let it sit for about 10 minutes before turning it back on. When I went to turn it back on, it showed the low battery symbol. So I plugged it up to the charger and let it charge for at least 2 hours. But it still wouldnt come on. I tried pressing the home and power button at the same time but when I do, it shows the low battery symbol. So I gave up and let my phone charge overnight, hoping it would turn on at some point. My phone had been on the charging at this point for about 8 or 9 hours and it still wont turn on. What do I do???

YOUR A LEGEND OMG BLESS YOUR SOUL YOUR A GIFT FROM GOD THANK YOU SO MUCH. for those who are wondering heat up the back of the phone with the blow dryer for about a minute while the phone is still charging

no because you are a gift from heaven!!!!!!!!!!!! i made a Account just to tell you that your are the boom diggity !!!!!!!

Wow its kind of sound crazy at first but the iron technic actually worked for me

MY IPHONE WAS WORKING FINE THEN IT BROKE AND I TOOK IT TO GET FIXED AND IT WAS WORKING FINE. IT NOW HAS TURNED OFF AND IT DOESN'T WANT TO TURN BACK ON NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES i CHARGE IT

i used a hair dryer after five hours of being on the charger and i really works!!!! Thank you so very much

When plugged in, do you get the battery symbol come up on your phone?

Iphone 5 has known battery issues. If the phone registers the cable, I would look to replace the battery (genuine Apple replacement only) AND then also restore the iphone via iTunes, and set it up as a new iphone

If it doesn't register the cable being plugged in, try other cables / charging plugs, then look to replace the charging port

Yes the battery symbol does come up when charging and the symbol that shows it needs to charge comes up when I unplug the charger.

This is very good. The charging port, charger and cable should all be fine. A genuine new battery, And an iTunes restore should have you back up and running

No it doesnt come up

Like others, I created an account here to say IT WORKS!!!! Basically it needs a little juice to get things going, Heat creates resistance. Resistance and current increase voltage. You need voltage to turn the %#*@ thing on.

Before step 1:

Use a toothpick to gently remove debris. I got an insane amount of lint out. Then used compressed air

Then (KNOWING THIS WILL RUIN YOUR WARRANTY/INSURANCE ETC.)

1. Unplug your iphone completely and remove cover.

2. Put the screen side down on the floor.

4. Use a hair dryer on high setting for about 30-60 seconds. It will get very hot. I held mine about 3-5 inches away because I seriously thought I was going to blow the whole thing up if I got too close, or burned myself if I accidentally touched it.

5. Whilst hot, put the charger pin back into the port and wait.

Almost everyone here says the apple or battery logo came back on instantly.

Mine DID NOT. It took 30 minutes before it came on.

So yes, it works.

omg it works, i was skeptical but it worked

Most Helpful Answer

Heat it up with a hairdryer, it will work

--To prevent confusion, this is a reminder that this update was by another person.--

I honestly don't know why this would work, but being that it has helped people, I want to remind everybody: DO NOT HEAT YOUR BATTERY DIRECTLY! This is extremely dangerous. Maybe @philipengel could elaborate more on what he heated and for how long? :)

amazing thanks mate, was dead for three days your a genius

you are probably the most smartest person thanks alot

The blow dryer worked like a charm on my daughter's iPhone 6s.

You certainly are a bloody genius!

I honestly can't believe this worked ! Such a good thing to know !

Thak you !

bless your heart.

I worked thanks sooooo much!!

how long does this take to turn back on, i tried but my phone still wont turn on :(

The iron method actually worked for me thanks guys was worried at first

Made an account just say it worked!!!!! Used my car heater on high and blasted it! Turned on immediately when I plugged it in

In this situation it is always hard to judge exactly where the problem lies. To me, this sounds like a battery failure. You can buy the battery here:

iPhone 5 Replacement Battery

And the guide to fix it can be found here:

How to replace your iPhone 5 battery

Hope this helps! And good luck, happy repairs to you :)

iPhone 5 Replacement Battery Image

Product

iPhone 5 Replacement Battery

$24.99

I was worried because my phone would not come back on after several hours. I heated the back with a blow dryer for 30 seconds. OMG it works!!!! I also made an account just to comment on this. I can't believe it works, but that is amazing and such a relief. It immediately came back on as soon as I plugged it back in.

this works unreal! xat here for 3 hours.. held it by my heater vent for 30 secs.. booted right up lol

I really thought this was one of those "will stupid people actually try this" things but I tries everything and nothing worked.

I held the blowdryer on high for under a minute and it worked!!

You are a life saver. Thank you.

should i heat while the charger is in or not ?

Just created this account to say it worked!!! Used my car heater and blasted it! Turned on immediately once i plugged it in

I just heated it and plugged it into charge and my phone still won't turn on is this normal? My phone has been dead for five months

hun, 5 months, means its ded

After looking at all of the answers, I was still feeling a bit skeptical, but I decided to pull a "Why The !&&* Not" move. I turned on my radiator and held my iPhone 6s to it for a minute or so, and it booted up right away. Very happy to know that strange things like this work. If you're around the cold a lot or move from one temperature to the next like I do for work, then this method will absolutely help you out. Try cleaning it out frequently to allow for the best charges. Once I plugged my phone in, after it turned on, it charged faster than when I first got it. Since I've started typing this, it's gone from 11% to 24%. Hope this helps!

I cannot believe this worked, even from seeing all the people it worked for I was sceptical; these things always work for other people and not me. My phone charged all night (from 12am - 7am) and then stayed in a portable charger all morning. It so also an iPhone 6 and the battery is even worse than Akaja's my phone need to be charged constantly and if it comes off charge it turns off.

So as I said, the phone had been off from 10am and stayed on the portable charge till 1pm then I decide to use my plug for a stronger charger, 5 hours later it still hadn't turned, then used my bran new iPhone X charger, 1 hour later it Still. Didn't. Turn. On. Thats when I went onto uncle Google and found this, I put it on the heater for 20 seconds both sides, plugged it in and no less than a second the apple sign came on.. I am amazed!

Whats more irritating after being charged continuously for 18 hours and 57 minutes it turned on at 12%.... Like Stephen said since writing this my phone has charged from 12% to 40% incredible. Keep your iPhone warm people!!

Akaja thank you for this post!!! You saved my phone from destruction and Philip you are a life saver!!

My phone was dead for an hour, I put it on the radiator for a minute and as soon as I put it back on charge it came on.

My phone has been dead for like two hours (died at the WORST moment rip me) and hair dryered it for 45 seconds, put it back on the charger and I'm still waiting for results but it's only been like five minutes so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

help!! not working!! heated with hairdryer 2 inches away for 55 seconds-plugged in, tried to turn on-nothing--do I leave it plugged in and keep trying?? how often? when do I ive up and trash the freeking th

Oh CRAP it just came on!!!!! THANK YOU!!!

WOW! Thank you soo much! I didn't have any heater or anything so I resorted to sitting on the thing for like 15 minutes while it charged and BAM! Turned on finally! I never would have thought about heating it up!

oh my fuckijgn god it works ahahahhahahaha

made an account just to say THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE BRILLIANT IDEA!

my working phone was dead and all of my clients' chats & numbers were there, most stupid thing that I haven't got to back it up. so desperate because my ip5s won't turned on after 2 hours of charging and I'm dead for sure if this won't back to life again..

trying to find a clue on google, and came up to this. i'm truly skeptical at first and was like "is this for real or these guys got paid for saying the method is really working?". heated up my ip5s with hair dryer for 1 minute till it gets warm and plugged the charging cable back, then miracle happens!

I don't have a hair dryer so what other way can I heat my phone up? Its been charging since yesterday 4pm to 8a.m next day

Just tried to turn on my daughter’s iPhone 6 that’s been in a drawer for at least 3 years... wouldn’t boot up. All I got was the battery symbol. I knew it needed a jolt of some type to make it boot, but i was thinking electrical, not heat... googled and wound up here. I pulled out hair dryer and heated both sides for about a minute. Plugged it back in and it booted up instantly! I’m still in shock! Would post photos if I could! Got Apple symbol then once battery was at 1% I could sign in to her phone! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!

you can use a radiator for about 1 minuet

Just want to share my experience since it was a little different, but still worked.

I was half awake, woke up to find my phone doing exactly this. In my half panicked, half awake state I read the above solution so quickly that I completely read it wrong.

What I did was I cleaned out my charging port the best I could without compressed air on hand. I took a blowdryer and ended up holding the hair drier a good 12+ inches away. I held it over my phone face down for about 3minutes continuously placing my hand on the phone to feel the temperature. It did not get too hot just warmer than before. I plugged my phone back into the charger anxiously awaiting the apple logo-nothing happened. I kept it plugged in for maybe 45seconds and as I was on the computer about to look for more answers; suddenly, to my absolute relief! The apple logo popped up and she was alive again!

I am so relieved it works! This was amazing! Thank you! I wonder if anyone can provide an update to see if this ever happens again or was a one time thing? I am curious as to why this happened; however, I will not stick around long enough to figure it out myself. I will be getting a new phone immediately. Not taking any chances as my phone is vital for my job.

I also want to add, to the people who are saying that their phone charged back up extremely fast. To my knowledge this is not a good thing. When your battery charges way too fast it is an indication that there is a problem with the battery and it must be replaced.

my iphone 6 is doing this right now!! just turned on the raditators going to give it a try !!!

wow lol nevermind! it just came on by itself as soon as i sent that! it had been on charge for 2 hours .

mine is still showing the battery symbol... dont know what going on but would love some tips!!!

Akaja will be eternally grateful.