Craftsman lawn tractor won't start

2002 model 917.271653 17 HP electric start, Briggs and Stratton engine. Turned key on. Heard a small pop. Won't start. Solenoid won't click. Have power to the white line to the solenoid. Checked the solenoid separately by putting power to terminals and got connectivity across power terminals. Cable to starter and cable to ground has connectivity. Jumped starter from battery and it cranks. Turn key, won't start. No solenoid click. No nothing. Any thoughts?

I took the solenoid out and put power across the activating terminals by jumping from the battery. Then had conectivity across the power terminals. Checked the power cable from the solenoid terminal to the starter and the ground cable from the activation side to ground. Both good. Any ideas?

That's just what mine did plus the float in mine is worn out but still works now tho it won't spark up from the spark plug I'm going to hold the wire and see if theirs any juice.

I had the same problem with my Craftsman LT1000 tractor. It wouldn't turn over. I purchased a new battery, used it all day and the next time I went to start it, same issue. Took the battery back and they tested. Perfect battery. So I started looking into other possibilities. I noticed I smelled gas when this happened. It seemed like the engine was locked up. I took the air filter off and clamped the gas line and waited a while. Boom, it started. So I replaced the gas filter and installed a shut off valve on the gas line. As long as I remember to shut the gas off after using the tractor all day, I don't have this problem. If I forget to shut the gas off, it locks up. Some kind of vapor lock. Hope this helps.

Norman Bailey, check these things first:"

1. Brake pedal not depressed (safety Switch)

2. Attachment clutch is engaged.

3. Weak or dead battery.

4. Blown fuse.

5. Corroded battery terminals.

6. Loose or damaged wiring.

7. Faulty ignition switch.

8. Faulty solenoid or starter.

9. Faulty operator presence switch(es).

What throws me off is the "small pop" you heard. Wonder if it could be a bad relay.

None of those things apply when I have power, with the key turned on, at the solenoid to activate the power side of the solenoid. And I do have power there at the white wire when the key is turned on to start. See ths wiring diagram. Norm

Norman Bailey,so you have power to the solenoid, but it does not turn the engage? have you then checked your solenoid?

See new answer.

Dear oldturkey03

I've done all those checks. Everything works including the solenoid. Still won't start. (?) Need a lot of helpful advice please.

normbailey

So that's all what the problems was

On my Ariens, had the same issue, where, with a new battery, mower would not start, unless I jumped across the solenoid. Figured the switch was fine, because it would only start if turned on, and would power off when I turned it off. Had no idea there was a 20amp fuse in the mix. Replaced the fuse, dangling in a harness near the solenoid, and it started right up. So much better if it's something simple, even it was still a pain.

I have a similar problem. Sometimes ours eventually starts. Most times it won't start most times unless we jump it. We get a click when we turn the key. The engine engages but doesn't keep turning. We also will get a pop occasionally. If cuts off once it is running we have the same problem starting it again. We've replaced the starter and battery. My husband checked all the electrical connections. He didn't check the fuse, but said if it was the fuse it wouldn't start at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

clean the battery connections, very very well, any corrosion and it won't start

Norman Bailey will be eternally grateful.