Model A1369, 1.6, 1.7, or 1.8 GHz Processor, 64, 128 or 256GB Flash Storage

Keyboard Intermittently Non Responsive - Top row of Qwerty only

in the past three months my MacBook and has developed an intermittent problem which has become more frequent.

I now I have to either use my Bluetooth keyboard or dictation!!

It is just the top row of letters, QWERTYUIo... P works!

If I move the keyboard problem, if I type repeatedly and seemingly fill the keyboard buffer the problem goes away.

I have taken my MacBook air to the genius bar, and after running diagnostics they found no hardware problems.

My Mac is running OS X 10.10.5

It's a mid 2011 13 inch 1.8 GHz Intel core I7, with 4 GB of DDR3 RAM

I've tried resetting the PRAM ram, no luck. Similarly the SMC reset.

Everything else runs fine, so I'm reluctant to go buy new machine when this feels like it's a bug.

If anyone has any suggestions, hints or tips - I would be eternally grateful!

The usual suspects for this crime is something was spilled into the keyboard: Liquid of some kind or food crumbs. I've seen staples as well as paper mess-up a key or two. The last possibility is the battery as sometimes they swell up pressing from the bottom.

For crumbs: Use a can of can'ed air you could try blowing in small bursts along the keys (don't let the liquid spray out!).

For a spill: You could pop the keycaps off and carefully clean underneath them hopefully saving the expense of replacing the full keyboard.

For a swelled battery: Its time to replace! To see if thats it you'll need to pop off the bottom and loosen it. Does the keyboard work then?

Hi, I'm writing some sort of update... Maybe I found my problem!

Yesterday I opened the Mac, removed the battery and cleaned the logic board with some ethanol... Until I realized that it was not the logic board causing the issue with those keys but the one-way-pin starting from the keyboard, goes from the trackpad and connects everything to the motherboard.

I cleaned these three connectors (attached picture) : https://postimg.org/image/5e6rzygwr/

And now, It works!

My considerations? Perhaps, the old battery was inflated a bit and pressed abnormally on the trackpad, where the two connectors (keyboard + trackpad) reside. When I changed it a year ago, I probably didn't notice this difference!

So the fix is: If you have a keyboard problem and you have a macbook out of warranty, I advise you to clean everything sparingly (pins, connectors etc.) before replacing any hardware part! ;)

I hope I've been helpful. Regards

This also solved the problem for me! I removed the battery and cleaned the connectors with alcohol. Also, one of the connectors was ever so slightly out of place. Thanks for the info!

Dear centar07. Thank you so much for posting this update. This did the trick for me, too, and hence saved me a lot of bucks for a replacement! Should anyone be wondering (like I did before trying): Using isopropanol instead of ethanol for the cleaning works just fine, isopropanol is what I used.

I have this same problem, and it looks like it happens a lot to other people as well.

Still not solved it, but this helped make it way better:

http://www.webholism.com/blog/sara/macbo...

I finally took the MBA to an Apple store, they replaced the whole upper case that includes the keyboard. That was 300€ but hey, problem solved.

Did you find a fix?

I have exactly the same problem - right down to the 'P' key working.

I brought it to the Genius Bar and they kept it for 48hrs to run tests. They found no problem but as soon as I opened it to use it, the problem recurred.

I had the some problem for somo time, I tried every solution here. The problem is the keyboard, you have to change it.

here after, you'll find a way to remap some keys with the "Fn" key. It'll give you the opportunity to use your Macbook air while outside.

See : http://wymiwyg.blogspot.fr/2016/09/une-s...

hey! did you guys find any solution to this issue? im also experiencing it on a macbook air. i was going to get a keyboard replacement, but i don't want to change it only to find out afterwards the problem appears again!

this macbook is running both el capitan and windows 7 using bootcamp, and the problem appear in both OS, so that made me think of a keyboard issue. how could i discard any logic board issues? any ideas?

It is confusing, since it happens intermittently and sometimes on the top row, so i´ve tried every solution here.

You have to change your keyboard!

I had this exact problem too - my q, w, e, r, t, y, u, i and o keys didnt work. (only these keys were affected) MBA 2011, 13".

Try pressing the "alt" (option) key whilst pressing the unresponsive keys a number of time. That seemed to work for a while.

Also, I found the problem is much worse typing on my lap. If I put the mba on a flat surface, it seems to work much better.

Randomly, previously I've found that tilting the laptop brings it back to life. Obviously not much of a long term fix.

Are there any news regarding a official fix for this problem? I have a Macbook Air 13 Mid 2011 and unfortunately I have the same problem with the "qwertyuio" buttons row. It seems a problem with the software (maybe a bug?), because when rebooting the mac usually the row never works ... To run the keys, I have to press repeatedly (and randomly) all the keys from "q" to "o" many times. Once they take the input, the keys work correctly until the mac spend some time in standby...

Do you have any solutions or tips? I've already checked, opened, cleaned the mac and internal parts (battery is ok, not a single crumb or spill) and tried all the fixes that I could find on the internet. But unfortunately the problem continues to be there! I would not want to change all the keyboard then find out that the problem is always there :(

Thank You and regards!

I deal with the same exactly problem few months now... It looks there isn't a solution except ofcourse a new keybord which is expensive for a 5 years old MaxBook Air. Apple should know about the issue but they don't respond.

Old thread I know but I recently had the same problem with my 2011 Macbook Air.

The QWERTY row was dead BUT would, on occasion, return to full functionality.

I invested 6.95 in a set of nice quality tools for back and battery removal and went ahead and removed the aforementioned bits. I left the battery out and disconnected for 24 hrs and also pressed and held the on / off button for a few seconds. On re assembly the Macbook is working perfectly and back to its old self.

Same problem on my iMac. Unpairing and pairing the bluetooth keyboard solved my problem once. But as soon as I restarted my computer the problem was back. Its clearly a software bug. Apple needs to find a fix. Lets all tweet Tim Cook about it.

The problem here relates to the 13" MacBook Air, and is definitely a hardware problem which is totally unrelated to bluetooth keyboards.

Nick New will be eternally grateful.