The Mac Pro First Generation is an Intel Xeon-based workstation computer manufactured by Apple Inc. between the years of 2006 and 2013.

Hard Drives are not showing up

I have a Mac Pro Tower 2009. It will boot to a Yosemite install USB drive. BUT, when I open disk utility, no hard drives are showing up, just the USB device and DVD drive.

I have tried two different drives, in all 4 internal bays. Nothing shows up.

I have a second Mac Pro tower, fully working, I put the drives into this tower and they are recognized in disk utility right away.

Is anyone familiar with this issue?

I suspect a speed issue here. What are the makes and model numbers of the drives? How are they formatted? What are the last four figures of the serial numbers on the non-working machine and working machine?

Drives are both WD Caviar Black (500gb WD5002AALX and 1TB WD1001FALS) Serial number on the Mac tower giving me issues ends in DEUH. It looks like it might be a 2010, not 2009 like I originally said. The tower that the drives do work in is serial number ending with S20H. Thank you for the quick response, Chris

Looks like it is working on a 2009 machine but not the 2010. The WD1001FALS is a 3.0 GB/s, the WD5002AALX is a 6 GB/s. The 2009 machine is 3.0 GB/s, but so is the 2010. Check the jumpers on the drives to see what they are set at.

Neither drive has jumpers. So with the WD5002AALX I would need to jumper pins 5 and 6 to limit it to 3gb/s. I will stop using the WD5002AALX and see where I can get with just the WD1001FALS. Thanks

I am now only using the WD1001FALS. I freshly formatted it using my 2009 tower, Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I then put it in the 2010 tower, and it is still not seen at all. I can feel the hard drive spinning up, but the tower does not see anything.

Have you tried changing hard drive ports, one may have gone bad.

Chris will be eternally grateful.