Model A1297 Unibody: Early 2009, Mid 2009, Mid 2010 & Late 2011

Is my GPU failing?

hello,

when i was on youtube, i noticed a portion of my screen flickered green and my blacklight does the same and even diffrent colors

is this a failing GPU?

edit

i was editing a anti-hp documenary campaign and i ost most of my graphics but it recoverd(even on my monitor)

Does this persist on an external display?

i am looking at itnow

when i have it hooked up to a monitor, it will pixel up in certain areas

I got the computer fixed!

Since it still gave you problems after connecting it to an external display i would say it has a failing GPU. You could try retightening the screws that hold the GPU/CPU heatsinks in place and make them relatively tight and see if that works. If you can't get it repaired and that didn't work, you could attempt to "rebond" the GPU's solder joint. If you want to do that you can do so by one of two ways. You can let the computer severely over heat by running it with disconnecting the fans (Which i wouldn't recommend) or you could remove the logic board and use a heat gun to gradually heat the area around the GPU to the point that it melts the solder joint underneath it then let it cool down. It's very important to gradually let it heat up because if you do it too rapidly, you risk shattering the die of the GPU (which i did by accident to a RROD xbox 360)

Good Luck,

Chris

i think apple will fix it

but that is if the computer is elijeble

It might be a failing battery/power source. If the power spikes/lowers, you might see a momentary drop in brightness. Does it happen frequentlly?

every now and again

if my notebook isnt elijeble, should i get a logicboard or new one and sell this one "as-is"?

chris, now i think i am out of recourse:( i am having issues with my new photosmarts printhead day 1 too i am out of recouse on my laptop and printer it got worse now to the point it and also does the same on the monitor i use:( taking it to the Geinus Bar tomorrow to try and get a logicboard for it:S big thanks!

you could sell the logic board, i have bought a few as-is parts, but it never works out for me, so I don't do that any more. You could sell it for 45-70 dollars.

the computer would probably be more

Nick will be eternally grateful.