iPhone 6 died suddenly and won't turn on.

Dear ifixit family,

I recently got an iphone 6 which was working quite nicely up until 2 days ago when the phone turned off, and when I clicked the home button, it showed me the red battery logo and the cable logo. Upon which I connected it to a charger, and the cable logo disappeared. Thinking all was fine, I left the phone to charge for almost an hour, and tried turning it back on.

And my blood ran cold. No response from the phone. Tried the home+power button routine. No dice. Left it on charge for a further 3 hours and tried all the possible combinations including holding the home button and connecting it to my mac. Nada.

It's been almost three days now and the phone isn't recognised by my mac nor is it turning on. Please help. I've had to go through a LOT including letting my client enslave me for 3 months. *sob*

وقد جلبت هذه المشكلة حتى في الكثير من الأحيان

Your not alone ive had this twice with iphone 6 plus

I wont be getting any more iphones my wife has a galazy note 4 its been through !&&* and back and still works fine and yet a most looked after iphone dies for nonreason really dissapointed

i had the same problem, replacement of the lightning connector assembly solved the issue

How much did that cost Yu

Hey Aryan,

first of all, I'd recommend going to an Apple store to check if they will replace your iPhone for free. It's almost always the best option since you don't void your warranty early on by doing something as simple as replacing a battery.

Now, if you're out of luck and you want to get repairing, ask yourself if there were any irregularities before. Heating up when charging, quick battery drain etc. Also did you charge the device with the original Apple USB cable, in an original Apple charging plug?

I would recommend for you to try the following (in this order) :

- replace the battery, if the phone turns on check if the battery charges. If yes, problem is most likely solved, if no, go to step 2

- replace the dock connector.

If none of the above work, please contact me.

Good luck!

iPhone 6 Replacement Battery Image

Dear Paintskill, Thank you for the info. I haven't been able to go the store yet, but will keep you updated.

Hey I tried the above steps and it didn't work for me. Both the dock connector and the battery were replaced and also tried and other screen and still didn't work.

was there any solution to this problem. i got a iphone 6 with the same problem.

I am fixing a phone for a customer, He said the phone was thrown half way across the room against a wall. It worked fine for a few days then one day he plugged it in, it got really hot and turned off. I have tried replacing the LCD, Battery, and the Charging port but still cant get life. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking the motherboard is probably shot...Let me know what you think please.

Hi Turice9,

Sorry for the late response, been very busy lately. Try to remove the battery and plug the phone into a charger. If it remains "dead" and keeps heating up the motherboard might be damaged.

Most Helpful Answer

If you have replaced battery and dock, Fast battery drain, red screen, and sudden death are all very good indications of a short.

More often than not the short is the tristar IC (1610A2), which becomes damaged from using cheap wall chargers, car chargers, ipod docks, ect.

The issue is board level, and its impossible to know if the issue is this ic or something else on the baord. Your best bet is to send it to someone for board level diagnosis or repair. There is a link on my profile to a website that will help you locate some of the most trusted board level techs there is. There may even be one close to you. If not, all of them accept mail in repair.

Sudden death on the iPhone 6 series is common, and it can almost always be fixed, but only by experienced board repair technicians. I fix many of these each week

Do you know any european board repair techs also?

@rany is in lebanon

Can you fix mines because I tried all of these

how much does it cost to try to repair tristar IC (1610A2)? Can you fix mine or Know anyone in Montana?

you can find very qualified people who can replace the tristar all over the world at http://boardrepair.info

My phone did this same thing today. Just went black and I could not wake it. Charging it provided no response. I plugged it into my computer and no response and the computer did not see that the phone was connected.

I found on the Apple website to try holding down the power button and home key simultaneously for 15 seconds. It worked !!! My phone woke up and so far has been working fine. Maybe others are having a similar issue.

thank you so much for the 15 seconds suggestion.. got my phone awake..so happy..God bless you..

I tried this too, (hold down the power button together with the home key for 15 seconds and then it worked! Thanks.

just happened to me and the 15 second method worked for me too!

worked for me to. Had to hold both buttons down for a full 15 seconds though.

worked for me too. thanks a lot

I found this guide, which might be helped.

https://usefulpcguide.com/18200/my-iphon...

The link given above was a great help for me.

hi Unfortunately i experienced the same issue a couple of days ago. I took it to Authorised service agency & was shocked to know that it will have to be replaced. The ASA is not even giving proper answer for the glitch which caused iphone to go dead.

Does anyone have any support in mumbai?

When your iPhone won't turn on,you can use iTunes to restore it to normal,but this way will case your iPhone data losing.However,I recommend you use this iOS System Recovery to restore ios system to normal without data loss.

Learn the guide:How to Fix an iPhone That Won't Turn On

last night my mobile had finished charge when i pluged my mobile show then icons but it does nit work then i change the charger cable but then no show anything on the screen

help me

i was travelling and all was happening well den i played my music aftr a min or 5 min it got off . and its not undr warrenty i have tried to connect charger den also it wont gets start ,den i preses power + volume down and home button ..nothing happened .wat to do ?

I bought a brand new cable and charger from Apple and it resolved my issue. The iPhone 6+ I use can only charge from the old charger when it is already turned on, no longer when it has no battery. It has the same issue with several non-Apple cables as well.

Try using both a new Apple cable as well as a new Apple charger to see if your issue is similar.

my iPhone 6+ is very old i got in three years ago and i lost it for about a year and i got it to turn on and now every once and a while it just turns off the screen fades and slowly goes black but it will still play music for a while until it completely shuts off and wont turn on ive tried holding power and home button for long periods charging for hours and it wont turn on then sometimes if i hit the power button it just turns on and works fine

Aryan Sharma will be eternally grateful.