Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Problems with powering system - Battery?

Connector seems good.

When first connected (after several hours disconnected) the charge LED come on green then turns orange then goes out, all within about 5 seconds. After that, nothing, and the computer will not power up.

I have tried a few different chargers and get the same results. Battery?

Thanks,

SMINVT

This is a MacBook Pro A1425 Retina. I'm ready to pop for a battery but it seems like if that were the problen it would still be able to power up with the charger connected.

SMINVT

Serial # ____ DR53 and Model A1425 are all I have to offer for identification.

The computer belongs to my daughter who is a college student. She has been working long hours prior to classes starting up and I have not been able to discuss with her events prior to failure. I hope to learn something from her today and will post any findings.

Thank you for helping me.

SMINVT

Here's the specs to your system: MacBook Pro 13" 2.5GHz i5 Retina (2012)

Can you give us some details on what happened to the system. Did you get it wet or bang it?

I learned today that the computer was functioning normally and prompted for the charger to be connected as the battery was running low. Connecting the Mag Charger did not charge the battery and eventually it did a low s.o.c. shut down. That was in July and of corse it was set aside until a few days before classes start but that is somewhat predictable...

SMINVT

You should try resetting the SMC (System Management Controller)

To reset the SMC:

Shut down the computer.

Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

On MagSafe power adapters, the LED might change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Thank you for the good suggestion. It is another tool in my box of tricks. unfortunately it did not power up. The LED in the MagSafe is not coming on at all anymore. I'm ready to open it up and start changing stuff but need a clue about what to look at or replace first.

SMINVT

Most Helpful Answer

Given your symptoms it sounds like the charging logic within the system is having problems. But without knowing which model you have I can't offer you more.

SMINVT will be eternally grateful.