Dell Inspiron small form factor system utilizing Intel processors. Introduced in 2007.

Suggestions for upgrading parts on a Dell Inspiron 530s

Looking at upgrading the RAM, video card, hard drive, etc. Just looking at getting my PC up to scratch instead of buying a whole new PC.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I guess I should ask, is it worth my time or should I look at buying/building a new one?

Most Helpful Answer

I think that this one will be difficult to upgrade the video card, but I suppose you could upgrade the RAM and hard drive and see a good bit of more performance if you get a Sold State Drive and max out the RAM, luckily I think the RAM is cheap for this PC, I think you will need PC2-5300 or 6400, it will run windows 7 fine with max RAM and a SSD, but I'm not certain about windows 8 or 10, only thing that will be holding you back will be the processor and I'm not sure what kind you have, more than likely a core 2 duo around 2.5GHz, and if so then I would stay at windows 7

Although you can find up to date Dell PC's for around 300-400$ that will work for at least 5 years, make sure you get the mid-tower or larger so if you do want to upgrade the video card later you will be able to

This may seem a little odd answering my own question, but here is the bottom line. It was not worth upgrading the Dell Inspiron 530s. I really leaned heavy on irish420311 suggestion on replacing the HHD for a SSD and adding RAM. I believe that this would have held up for awhile and worked just fine. However, after much research of upgrading vs buying a new PC. I found a third option of building a PC, which in the end is what I chose.

I believe that building my own PC will prove to be something I can continually upgrade and repair without having to buy a whole new PC every so often. Therefore keeping up with the essence of reducing electronic waste and repairing what I have over the long run. Also, if you have an old PC that you want to rid yourself of, instead of pitching it to the curb or selling it. Consider donating it to your local high school or vocational college for another generation to learn on!

You are probably right. Still, I upgraded the power supply 400 watts and added a low-profile video card (PowerColor axr7 250) and put 4 gig in the box then upgraded my CPU to Core2Duo 3.16 GHz. I have a wireless Asus pce-n15. It runs right well (Windows 7 32-bit). I expect to keep this and my other two 530s machines running for a long time.

I also have two Vostro 200 machines which are essentially the same.

nshourds will be eternally grateful.