MacBook Air models with 13" displays

Why no USB startup thumbdrive?

I bought the latest Mac Air with 13 inch LCD last week. It was loaded with Yosemite. I looked and looked, but it did not come with a bootable USB thumbdrive . What's the logic here? The Mac Air I bought 4 years ago (with Snow Leopard I think) did have the bootable thumbdrive in the box.

I think the logic behind that is that snow leopard you had to actually purchase if you wanted some kind of media for it, Yosemite you can get for free from the app store and just make your own USB media

Most Helpful Answer

I think this is what you are asking, all current MacBooks have a built in "hidden" recovery partition, so there is no need for a bootable usb thumb drive, just hold cmd-r at startup (cmd-option-r for internet recovery if normal recovery won't work).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

-Brad

Correct! Apple no longer ships media with their systems as all have recovery partitions as well as offer Internet recovery. Even still I do recommend you download from the Apps Store the OS installer and with it prep up a USB thumb drive as a bootable drive and copy over the OS installer as a safety net. Besides, you'll need it to fix drive errors running Disk Utility to fix permissions

Bernie will be eternally grateful.