Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Why does machine power off after partial start up.

The problem started with the device screen fuzzing out from the left and then freezing. After powering off and restarting nothing happens apart from repeating three beeps continuously. When left for approximately 1 hour machine started normally and lasted about 30 min before the problem re-occurred. This became progressively worse and the machine was taken to the supplier. After being returned twice, declared fixed, the problem persisted. A different Apple repair shop did a test and diagnosed a faulty graphics card ( integrated with the mother board).

They don't carry stock and referred me to an agent who wants $1 560-00 to supply and replace mother board. A new machine is available for $1 065-00. Since the machine was returned to me, all I get is the welcome tune on start up before the machine shuts itself off. If stared again, a beeping. To me this points to an over heating problem, with the processor thermal protection shutting it down when over heating. The beeping being the alarm for the thermal protection before it re sets and allows switch on.

The three beeps indicate a RAM issue. Check the RAM to to see if it is correct. If you give us the last four figures of your serial number we can tell you what it should be. First, reseat the RAM. That failing, try booting with just one chip, move it to the second slot. You are testing for both a failed chip and a failed slot so try the different configurations. Let us know your results.

The last four figures are 3dty3

Deon Smit will be eternally grateful.