Before merging with HP, Compaq manufactured a full range of laptop computers. Now they are manufactured by HP mostly with basic features.

Loud sound during boot, what does it mean?

I've recently bought a Compaq Armada 1120 from the 90s with Microsoft Windows 95 installed. It works fine, but it makes a strange sound while booting and sometimes while operating. I don't think this is normal, as when looking at two videos of other Compaq Armada 1120s, one makes the sound, and the other doesn't. What does this mean, and what can I do about it? I think it might be the hard drive, but I don't know for sure.

Here is one of the videos I found on YouTube, which has the sound occur at 2:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAW1iIE5...

Mario83w, that is the floppy disk drive looking for a disk. Make sure that there is none in the drive. BTW that noise is normal for this action.

Awesome, thanks. Although, how come the other Compaq Armada 1120 doesn't make this sound?

EDIT: Turns out, the other one was an 1125. It seems similar though.

It is possible that the BIOS is set up different. It may look on A: (floppy drive ) for the OS first then go to the hard drive.

Mario83w will be eternally grateful.