Black and silver single cup coffee maker with water reservoir on the left hand side.

only brews small cups regardless of setting

My Keurig has started to brew small cups of coffee regardless of the setting it have it on. I usually make a large cup of coffee. I have cleaned it as per the directions to no avail.

Chuck I have followed all of these instructions. Still only a small cup but notice that the resevoir bowl from which you next cup comes only has about half of a bowl. Is there a sensor or any way to make the bowl fill up? Thanks

I have a somewhat similar problem: for a little while the large cup option delivers 8 oz instead of 10 oz (both small and medium size options work well). I followed the directions on this page, in addition to flushing the valve with white vinegar and let it soaked in it for a while to dissolve all the calcium carbonate deposits if there were any, but this hasn't solved the issue. The interesting part is that it always delivers the exact same amount. I think there might be an electronic problem related to the large cup option.

RAISE the handle to the K-Cup ALL THE WAY UP as you inset the K-Cup, only then will all of the water dispense properly. If you listen closely, you will hear the gurgling of the water draining. I was given a K15 for my birthday, one out of 6-8 cups was full, then one day I raised the handle to the max and for the first time heard the gurgling...... PROBLEM SOLVED!

worked perfectly! thanks for the excellent instructions! I also found the the K Cup holder comes apart.... a ton of greasy sludge in there too!!

My solution was the same one I used when I first got my machine and it wouldn't do anything. I took all the removable parts off, took it to the sink, turned it upside-down and smacked the bottom about ten times. Apparently, sometimes the vacuum tube that sucks up the water gets full of air that needs to be pushed out.

Chuck McCabe, I just finished fixing one from a buddy's shop. Same issue, no matter what it would only brew 4 oz at a time and took forever to do so. I did a few things. First I removed the plastic holder that holds the K-cups.

This one is simply pulled straight up, but had a bit of resistance from some spring clips.

On the bottom of that is a tapered needle that pokes the hole into the bottom of the K-cup. On the side of it is actualyl a small hole. Use a paper clip (or in my case I used a needle) and stick it in there to remove any scale, coffee grounds etc. As you can see from the first pictures, there will be a lot of coffee in and around it.

Next you need to clean the top needle. It's a bit trickier since it is somewhat hard to reach around the sides. So open the Keurig all the way, and again use a needle or paper clip. There will be three holes around the needle.

At this point I tried to see if it would finally brew a 12oz. coffee which it did not. Next I concentrate on the water intake. Remove the tank by simply pulling up on it

On the bottom of the tank is a filter and a check valve. I removed the three Phillips screws from the filter and removed that from the tank. I cleaned it with some running water and an old toothbrush. It's a bit tricky to remove since you will need a long Philips screw driver. As a finally step I wanted to check the water supply to the needle for the top of the K-cup. If you take a look at the part where the top needle is mounted, you will see two Phillips screws that hold the top cover on. Remove those.

Slightly lift and pull the top cover out.

with the cover removed you can see where the water comes from the boiler through a check valve and then to the K-cup Needle.

If that check valve has scale, sediments or other contaminants in it, it will not let the water get through properly. Unhook the check valve from the connector above the K-cup needle and remove the tie straps. Now you can remove the check valve. Try to blow in it from the boiler side and it should open. Do that a couple of times to loosen any sediments etc. I also run some hot water from the K-cup side into the check valve and shook it up. I did get quite a bit of debris out of that. Once I had it cleaned, I reassembled the valve, hoses and cover. I did replace the tie straps as well. Once fully reassembled, I did get the Keurig to brew 12oz 25 times in a row:-). Guess I fixed it. Biggest issue with this repair are the need for a long Phillips #2 to remove the screen from the tank, and to reassemble the two screws for the top cover. I did turn the Keurig upside down to get gravity to help me reinsert the screws. Hope this will work for you as well as it did for me.

Worked great thank you for the help and advice

This isn't an answer, it's a GUIDE (or at least should be).

@mayer, thanks. you mean something like this How to open and clean Keurig Coffee Maker :-)

Thanks for posting this info. Turns out our filter screen was gunky, though we only use filtered water. The Keurig is working as good as new!

super! from one old guy to another- this should be a basic remedy for nearly all coffee pots. What about a solvent like vinegar or other type be used first to nullify the breakdown procedure? gusinshop

I removed 3 screws, took out filter and cleaned.............now there is no way I can get screws back in????

Get a magnet screwdriver it helps

A magnet screwdriver helps

Chuck McCabe will be eternally grateful.