Model A1288 / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity

How can I tell if im giving it enough time to complete?

I was attempting to reset the entire device, and i fell asleep. It initially said it could take several hours for completion. when i looked at it, the red battey and zig zag symbols were showing. I pluged it into the wall to charge, and left it alone, but now all thats showing is the apple in the middle of the screen, and slowly the round application ring shows up. I believe i saw it go completly black, and then back on. but im not sure. I did try to use the top and middle key to see if i could get the bottom slide bar, but nothing.....and its going on 5 hours

i would try to make a hard reset - press and hold the home and the sleep button until the ipod restarts - it should not tahe longer than 10 seconds - but it could!

some ipods must be restored with itunes - in your case i would try it from the beginning in dfu mode! CLICK for a HowTo video on youtube

i did the hard reset and still showing the apple and ring, rotating slowly, however i am sure now the devise is turning black, and comes back to the apple logo. its done it twice now since i asked the first question... but i will check out the link you put up. Thankyou. i'll take any other suggestions you may have...

Your link worked! THANKYOU so much. The computer finally found the device and itunes is restoring my stupidity! I wasnt doing it correctly! thanks for the link!! you are the man.... XO

sarah will be eternally grateful.