iPhone 3GS

Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

Replaced battery not charging!

Hi

I've just replaced my dead battery with a brand new one.

Oh my god I was happy when the phone I thought was dead booted up! The battery indicator were at 80% with the new battery. I were quite excited that I got it work so I didn't try charging it.

Later same day I plugged the phone into the wall for charging. The big green battery showing "Charging" came up as usual. 30 minutes later when I grab my phone I see that the phone has drained 10% battery instead of charging?

The battery indicator says it charging, I see the flash.

So I thought it would be a good idea to let it totally drain so I can charge fully to set a new chargingcycle.

When it was totally drained I put it in the wall charger again. The red battery image came up, as it use to do when the iphone is drained.

The problem is, the red image is still there, after 60 minutes in wallcharger.

What happend?

Bad replacement battery?

Hardware damaged during install of new battery?

Notice: The iphone indicates that it's connected to a charger, and it says that it's charging, but it will not charge.

Frustrating, couple of hours ago I was celebrating my achievments, but now im just crying ;-(

Also tried reset the firmware with DFU recovery mode, without result. I get some different failure messages from itunes.

by Bengt Barsebaeck

surely the new battery could be dead!

so replacing it with a different one COULD help

you should contact the seller and try to get a new battery (since the phone says "charging" but didn't charges - i guess it's a batter problem)

edit

the marked part is the toasted power management ic

You mean it's plausible that the new battery is not working properly, even if I've used the phone for a couple of hours with it? (and it didn't work at all before replacing the battery)

by Bengt Barsebaeck

it's possible that a battery simply dies. what was the problem in the frist place ?

by markus weiher

sorry - i missed that connection.

by markus weiher

thats a pretty bad situation here. i think the fake charging is related to a toasted power management ic - it can be fixed, but only by a pro. sorry for that. the part should get very warm when you try to charge the phone - i marked the part on the picture i edited into my answer above

by markus weiher

i think i've seen somewhere on ifixit that if the antenna is damaged it can make power drain from the battery even though all other connections are good?

I find NO logic in "how I just repaired my iPhone".

I disambled the iPhone and took out the new battery which didnt get a proper charge. I re-installed it just to be sure I've made all comnections ok. No progress, iPhone still dead.

In anger, I went to a friend who owns a multimeter. Neither he or my self really knows how that thing works, but I gave it a try. I also brought my old "dead" battery to test it.

The new battery, which couldnt get a proper charge,, showed aprox 1 volt. My "dead" battery showed aprox 1,2 volt.

In frustrated anger, desperate, I re-installed my old "dead" battery. Set it up. Plugged it into the wall... and voila! It works!!

IPhone powers up. Battery% have been rising during the time charging (maybe a little bit slower than usal, but still charging)

EDIT. Problem!! It charges EXTREMLY SLOW, maybe 1% every half hour??

something isn't right - the board should not drain the batteries like that. i would charge it to 100% and would try how long it would take to get empty again - without using it, so no sim, no playing around and so on - only checking every hour (or so) how much energy is gone

by markus weiher

It charges very slow, maybe to 100% in 12 hours in wallcharger. Then it's draining very fast, maybe 10% every hour, in standby. ;-(

by Bengt Barsebaeck

it's really hard to tell, it simply sounds like something is shorted or fried

by markus weiher

I just saw this when trying to figure out what is wrong after replacing my 3GS battery with one from amp juice that I ordered from iphonebatteryrepair.com and after a bunch of trouble shooting I put the old one back in and all is good! I was pretty worried for a while about my baby. Apparently some people just sell crappy bats.

you're right - but some of them didn't do that on purpose - li-po cells are very problematic. they can die/burn/explode/discharge pretty fast - if the voltage is below 3v - you should normally dispose them

by markus weiher

I have almost the same problem, except I have an iphone 3g. I opend it to clean the sim slot (dont ask why)), for that i took out the motherboard (shouldve done that): ,and as soon as finished with cleaning it I put everything back together! And everything worked perfectly fine, i made a few test calls and sms, i guess i even transfered some files via USB. Then I plugged it to the wall and went to bad, next morning i found it with the same symbols on the screen... it says its charging, its discoverable in DFU, though gives an error when restore, but no real charging!=(

Guys help me too! I still have the same battery, which makes this situation even stranger!

check your connections..no.4 is the charger. what error are you getting 1604 is usual if your battery lacks the charge to boot/rstore

by pollytintop

I'm just going to throw this out there...try restoring the IOS and start from scratch...had a similar problem and this seems to have fixed it

Have a similar problem with mine. Just bought a replacement iphone 3GS battery from eBay having checked bits of feedback that said that the batteries were ok. Battery was pretty dead when installed and just showed a very red battery indicator so doesn't power up. Has been 'charging' this afternoon but is making no progress in the battery charge stakes. Does this indicate a dead battery or something else?

I have same problem but do not know how to fix it. If you can give some idea. Thanks

'bold text' replace the other new battery of other company... its battery fault same accident with me....but sotout it...

Same problem with my old iPhone 3G

Got a cheap battery off eBay (so I guess a copy)

Installed it, and it seamed to work ok for a while - charged up to around 70%.

Then when I look at the phone later it has gone back to the red battery screen showing the battery is flat. I looks like it is charging, but after 24 hours it's still dead.

Can't really be bothered to fix it again - I just wanted to use it as a remote control.

No one seems to be blaming Apple for this B/S. I have replaced batteries in Nokia and Samsung and no problems. Apple 3GS WON'T take a generic APN 616 0347 Chinese replacement, you get error 29 (wrong battery, orig was a 342). Tried the 345 from a reputable supplier and it reboots on iTunes, no error codes, But WON'T charge. So it is APPLE software that screws you up. Tossed mine, got a BB Z10.

Bengt Barsebaeck will be eternally grateful.