Model A1297 Unibody: Early 2009, Mid 2009, Mid 2010 & Late 2011

Why does my 2nd hard drive keep ejecting randomly?

I have a quad core i7 17" MacBook Pro and I recently used the OWC Data Doubler to upgrade the optical drive to a secondary hard drive.

I used a 2TB Samsund HDD as the secondary, as I wanted to used it for storage, while using my SSD to boot and run my applications from.

My MacBook Pro recognized it just fine immediately after installation, however randomly I will receive a notification "Disk not ejected properly" and my 2nd hard drive will be gone. When I reboot, it returns until it does it again. Sometimes it will go days without doing it, other times it will do it 15 minutes apart. Any suggestions?

I am running Yosemite and have not been able to find any solution.

I am having the same exact problem. First I had a Samsung SSD with a 400GB secondary drive and everything was working perfectly. Then I upgraded the 400GB drive to 2TB and now it just keeps ejecting on it's on. I've also tried to switch back to the 400GB drive assuming the 2TB drive is at fault but was still getting the same problem.

I am now looking into the possibility that the SATA firmware needs to be updated. I will get back to you when/if I solve this

Any news on this?

Most Helpful Answer

Not sure if you have found a work-around, but I had the same issue as you. Finally, I tried to put the SSD in the data doubler and the 2TB drive in the main drive bay. Voila, it worked. Not sure why, but now no problems.

matthewjackson4040 will be eternally grateful.