Model A1013, A1052, A1085, or A1107 / 1440x900 screen resolution

Starts to boot and rotating symbol stops. Hard drive or Super drive?

I assume this is a hard drive failure.

I saved everything on a FireWire external drive before this happened!

If I replace the hard drive, is there a way to reload everything onto the new hard drive? I have an OS 9 disk but not OS X 10.3.9.

Score -1

Most Helpful Answer

Hold down the option key while starting to select the operating system with the firewire drive plugged in. If you can start from the firewire, go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility and repair the internal drive.

If you install a new hard drive, start up from the system installation disk and use migration assistant to move your data onto the new drive.

2 Comments:

Tried that and also starting from OS 9 CD. the CD spins up and then rotating symbol stops again and I get the turn off and restart message

Try removing the internal hard drive and booting from disk and firewire drive. This does not appear to be just a hard drive failure. Remove the battery & power adapter and hold he start button for 10 seconds. Start up holding the option -command & P & r keys, hold for three beeps.

Joe McKenzie will be eternally grateful.