20", 23", and 30" LCD Display introduced in 2004 discontinued in 2010.

Causing Power off request when USB cable connected

When I connect the USB cable for my 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display to my Mac I get a persistent request to Shutdown my Mac. It's been suggested that this is possibly due to the power button on the Display not functioning correctly. If this is the case, can it be repaired?

I discovered that there were two separate power related issues that caused this problem. Hopefully this will help anyone who has a similar problem. The first problem was that the power adapter was faulty. Replacing it solved part of the problem. However, after I replaced this item the screen would request a shutdown unless I had something drawing power through the USB ports. This was dealt with by turning off the functionality of the physical buttons (this option was inaccessible until after I replaced the power adapter for some odd reason). The real solution did not occur until I changed computers. Ever since I upgraded to the new Retina Display iMac I have had no problems with this display. I can use the physical buttons and I don't need to have anything drawing power through the USB ports.

Most Helpful Answer

This happens in older macs when the positive & negative power sources from USB are touched together so I'm guessing that there's something metallic stuck inside of it.

so clean out your USB

Thank you for suggestion. Unfortunately nothing changed after a through cleaning and realigning of the USB contacts.

Gabriel Mosher will be eternally grateful.