Originally known as "The New iMac" the iMac G4 was created to replace the iMac G3 as Apple's all-in-one desktop computer. The G4 is easily recognizable by its swiveling monitor mounted above the hemispherical computer. Steve Jobs quoted it as being "a design that will last till the next decade."

Why has The Flat Panel gone black?

The screen on my flat panel has gone black.

The computer itself is running, and I can get into it via AirPort and my laptop.

I can get into the Apps.& Docs., but would like to get the problem fixed.

Can you see a faint image on the screen when the G4 is running?

I understand you have completed a repair (guide) manual that will help in repairing my G4 Flat panel. Is it possible for me to get the guide?

Thanks, DickB

Hook it up to a external monitor to try to isolate the problem. It could be as simple as a PRAM battery or as complex as a failed GPU. You can also get to the hard drive by starting it up in "Target Mode" by connecting to another Mac via a firewire cable and starting the G4 up holding down the "T" key. Your hard drive icon should appear on the desktop of the other machine.

good answer +

It's most likely a failed inverter though. Look closely at the screen and you should just be able to see the desktop etc in the darkness. The inverter should be behind the screen.

Are there any instructions (diagrams)or Manuals available for fixing this problem ?

DickB.

Not yet but two of us are working on repair manuals for these machines so check back.

DickB will be eternally grateful.